Ignition system problem - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition system problem

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #16
CSP

The original problem post is from 2010.

CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
semihemi

yes I see that every thing that has been posted as replies to the original post is not relative to the original question, I was only reffering to the symptom as being exactly the same. The replacement coil from autozone and confirmed as the correct part by Wells Mfg. part#c819 comes with a note that states: If the coil is marked "USE WITH EXTERNAL RESISTOR" it must not be used on cars that do not have a resistor in the ignition coil circuit.
semihemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #18
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Perhaps a simple fix is to spend $5 on a 3.5 ohm extrenal ballast resistor and wire it in.

Coils are designed to run on 7V but can for short periods run on 13V, boosting spark. Downside is they then overheat and that spare energy can also affect the other ignition components.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM   #19
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

Just upgrade your ignition to an HEI and bypass all that mess. You wont regret it.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

semihemi,

Here's the original wiring diagram for our Prestolite system. Make sure that everything is wired up the same. According to the TSM, there is a ground wire that goes from the negative post on the battery to the dash; make sure that's there too. While you're at it, download the TSM from www.oljeep.com and save yourself a world of headache trying to figure this out on your own.....it has saved me numerous times.
prestolite-wiring-diagram.png

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #21
semihemi

FLynes, thanks for the info, the wiring on this jeep is all good and exactly like the diagram, I suspect that the problem is with the chineese aftermarket modules or after 38 years of this jeeps life with prestolite ignition it is over due to the earths pole shift (haha). My customer is coming over this morning so we can discuss the various conversions. I have beat this dead horse until it stinks.
semihemi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

What we all seemed to miss the first time around was the OP had a PRESTOLITE ignition...

If this is a Prestolite ignition, and you have the issue the original poster did, you have either a bad ground at the module,
Or more likely, a bad 'Replacement' module...

Also, while you are at it, check the plastic vacuum advance canister on that distributor, if it's cracked or leaking, you are SCREWED!
No replacements that fit. Remanufactured distributor required...

In that case, I would go HEI... Not a 'Clone' HEI, but a Reman HEI from the parts store from '76 Chevy Blazer with 250 CID I-6 Engine.
You will have to acquire a drive gear, but it's worth the hunt to avoid the "$100" HEI clone issues...
The early V-8 Delco Breaker Points distributors have the same drive gear with the proper shaft size for the HEI shaft, so do aftermarket gears from MSD.

'76 Blazer used a Common HEI module, the distributor you are used to seeing,
BUT,
It used a REMOTE COIL, and a DISTRIBUTOR CAP WITH A COIL WIRE.
This stops a bunch of the HEI related issues, and you won't see the vehicle back with ignition issues.

The slower advance curve in the factory HEI won't bring the vehicle back with 'Pining' or 'Hesitation' complaints, and the guy won't hammer the pistons out of it if he tries to pull his house behind the little Jeep... (Since you never know what customers are going to do...)
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #23
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Aaron,

Sometimes you can get lucky and find one of those plastic vacuum canisters for the distributor on eBay; I was lucky enough to find one for mine when I rebuilt my distributor. It was very easy, compared to other distributors I've done.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Hate those plastic SOBs!
E-bay would be a good source for odd parts, but try and find a 'Jeep' vacuum canister for a V-8 on it's own at the parts stores...
Frustrating at the least!

And about everytime I run into one that has cracked or the diaphragm is busted, the distributor has been in the engine so long it's corroded into place, which means REALLY TORQUING on it to get it out to work on...

The fact you see so many 'Don't Run' Jeeps with the Prestolite ignitions, and the Motorcraft ignitions are still plugging along when you find them, I don't think it's all just being 4 years older...
Prestolite problems are FRUSTRATING to diagnose since they use a full on 'Hall Effect' trigger, and that plastic vacuum advance is a pain,
And if you don't adjust a trigger replacement JUST SO, it won't run at all or run correctly...

I should have gutted more of the Prestolite modules down though the years than I did, but I was mostly trying to get my AMC Cars to run I didn't...
Low on knowledge and high on 'Racing' was my incentive to just yank them and replace with something reasonable, reliable and would work with an MSD module...

--------------

*IF*... It comes down to replacing the distributor, you will be money up in the long run to use an HEI on an I-6,
And a Jeep/Motorcraft on a V-8.

HEI does OK on an I-6 at lower RPM, but it breaks down at higher RPM and more cylinders on the V-8...
Just not enough time for the coil to saturate correctly.
Not saying it won't *Work*, just saying when you do analytical comparison, the the V-8 has more cylinders, which cuts down on saturation times, and V-8 guys tend to rev the engine higher, which cuts back on saturation times even more...
And there is the issue with blowing through the rotor with the HEI, more cylinders firing more often have a tendency to blow through the rotor more often.

It's hard to walk past the $100 price tag of an HEI clone... But you get so much more ignition for $150 with the Jeep/Motorcraft version of the upgrade...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
coil , coil terminal , connection , ignition , terminals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.