Ignition Switch Test?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition Switch Test??

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
balls172
1982 CJ7 

Ignition Switch Test??

Hey guys, I am sure you can help me. I have searched for the answer but nothing helped me. My Jeep is an 82 CJ7 manual tranny with 258 motor. No prior problems then on attempting to start the key kind of felt like it was grabbing/grinding and did not return. Replaced the key switch but still happening so I am thinking ignition switch, how should these things act if they are good. I have the column torn apart now just to freshen it up and everything else looks good. Thanks in advance, Shawn

Unread 05-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
james04si

1977 CJ5 

down at the bottom of the column under the dash where the actual ignition switch is if you remove the switch from the column there should be a tab that moves back and forth that moves the ignition switch to the desired off/run/start positions. I dont know the wire color coding for the actual switch. hopefully someone will come along that can provide that information.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
balls172
1982 CJ7 

I have the switch out, and it does slide back and forth. Is there any kind of return action to it when the key is released from start?
Unread 05-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
carguy68ssrs
1977 CJ5 

The switch itself has a spring inside it to return key back from start position. Take a skinny Philips screwdriver and put it in the slot that the rod on column goes in and move it from 1 position to another. It should clic from position to position untill you get to start position where it will just spring back. you will feel the spring.
carguy68ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
balls172
1982 CJ7 

Ok, I think it is definately the ignition switch. It is very rough/gritty when manually operating switch with a screwdriver, there are clicks but no return spring action. Thanks for the help, I will keep you updated.....
Unread 05-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
balls172
1982 CJ7 

UPDATE~ Changed out the ignition switch and it starts, however now my gears are slipping in the key switch. How do you change those.....

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.