ignition switch or starter relay/solenoid or starter gone south? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ignition switch or starter relay/solenoid or starter gone south?

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM   #16
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

yeah, I am going to clean up the connections, although they don't look bad to the eye, but a wire brush and sand paper and a pocket knife go a long way on connectors. every single guage on the thing was inoperable when i bought it and i had to take every connection, one at a time, so far and clean them, and then they have all responded positively (sorry for the pun....), even unscrewed the fuse panel and cleaned the corrosion on the wire connections to get power to guages and lites and switches as well as the corroded connections for those things and their grounds, too. It acted like it was a connection the way it clicked at first when it was going bad, and then just did nothing at all. What I can't understand, though, is how when you tried to start it and it would do nothing, why then did nothing work anywhere? It did this even after i cleaned the cable connection at the pos and neg posts, but only started after i inadvertantly cleaned the connection on the starter cable leading from the solenoid switch to the starter. was that just some sort of zen thing with the every karma element of the cosmos all aligning when i turned the key on the column over an hour later? I haven't started it since the other day, but will after i clean the connections around the switch. right now, I want to employ the method you suggested, Roscoe, except that every time I try to 'crank it', it does. but thanks for your input. i did research dead spots in starters, and yeah, they appear real, and every source i went to suggested that there is nothing you can do about it other than to keep tools in the vehicle or replace it, but then there is no guarantee you won't find another just like it. thanks, guys, anyone else feeling this thread and wanna put their two cents in? I'd really appreciate it.

jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #17
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdubose View Post
yeah, I am going to clean up the connections, although they don't look bad to the eye, but a wire brush and sand paper and a pocket knife go a long way on connectors. every single guage on the thing was inoperable when i bought it and i had to take every connection, one at a time, so far and clean them, and then they have all responded positively (sorry for the pun....), even unscrewed the fuse panel and cleaned the corrosion on the wire connections to get power to guages and lites and switches as well as the corroded connections for those things and their grounds, too. It acted like it was a connection the way it clicked at first when it was going bad, and then just did nothing at all.

What I can't understand, though, is how when you tried to start it and it would do nothing, why then did nothing work anywhere? It did this even after i cleaned the cable connection at the pos and neg posts, but only started after i inadvertantly cleaned the connection on the starter cable leading from the solenoid switch to the starter. was that just some sort of zen thing with the every karma element of the cosmos all aligning when i turned the key on the column over an hour later? I haven't started it since the other day, but will after i clean the connections around the switch. right now, I want to employ the method you suggested, Roscoe, except that every time I try to 'crank it', it does. but thanks for your input. i did research dead spots in starters, and yeah, they appear real, and every source i went to suggested that there is nothing you can do about it other than to keep tools in the vehicle or replace it, but then there is no guarantee you won't find another just like it. thanks, guys, anyone else feeling this thread and wanna put their two cents in? I'd really appreciate it.
Do you mean why did everything else work but wouldn't start because of the connection? That's easy, your corrosion on the terminal is acting like a resistor limiting the amount of current available to the circuit. Since Lights and everything else doesn't need as much current as the starter they worked normally.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2010, 10:39 PM   #18
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

nah, John, I guess that was a little confusing. when this first happened, i tried to crank the jeep, pumped a little gas into the carb and it turned over but wasn't catching (it does this when you let it sit a few days without running it), so i turned the key off, then tried again, got the gauges on at run, but got only a clicking sound when i turned the key to start, turned it back to off, turned to run, got the gauges on, nothing at start, then turned it off and turned to run, got no gauges, nothing, turned to start, nothing, then turned off. tried the lights, they would come on. waited five minutes, turned to run, got the auages, turned to start, nothing, turned off, then tried the lights again, nothing. waited thirty minutes, then could repeat the cycle again, never getting anything in start, getting the gauges in run the first time, getting lights, then the second time, nothing in any stage again.

the next thing i did was clean up the connections at the battery posts and cables there and it did nothing. then took the battery out and took it to autozone and it tested great under load. brought it home, put it back in the jeep, connected the neg post, took the cable off between the solenoid switch and the starter and applied it directly to teh pos post, trying to see if i could make the starter spin and eliminate it ans isolate the solenoid switch as the culprit and nothing happened other than sparking at the post with the ring connector rubbing on it. then i reattached the ring connector (cable ot the starter)to the solenoid switch and the pos cable connecting the pos post to the solenoid switch back to the pos terminal and walked back inside to report back to youse guys. went back outside about an hour later and stuck the key in the thing and it started right up like nothing was ever wrong. three times, no problem (haven't tried it since, gonna clean up the connections around the solenoid switch before i try again).

what i still don't understand is why everything would completely stop working for a while(lights, fuel guage, no voltage showing on that guage, either) when i tried to start it and then after a while come back, yet still the starter would not turn over, and then once the circuit was complete to the starter in the start position, then switching the key off and then back run, none of the guages worked, the lights would not work, then after a period of time, just the gauges and the lights would work. i understand now, that maybe the connection from the solenoif switch to the starter needed cleaning, as that seems to have made things right, but i don't believe the current for the lights and the gauges has to route through that connection. if that was the bad connection all along, and no current was available to spin the starter, wouldn't the guages and lights have operated irregardless of that problem? sorry for the mix up in the earlier post. does this make things any clearer?
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
iarepilot
1980 CJ5 

Thought I would jump on this post as I am experiencing very similar issues. 1980 CJ5 with a 258. Just replaced all cables, solenoid, starter, and battery. I get similar things with the fully charged battery... 13 volts, crank to zero, back to 12.5. The crazy thing is the engine will turn over about 4 times before the battery seems completely dead. I can jump the thing and it starts right up and runs like a champ but if I shut her down, it will crank for a few seconds and go dead. I know the battery is good and all the other stuff is new also. Haven't tried the igntion switch. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Cubby
iarepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #20
g1gabyt3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having a similar issue which is why I'm reviving this old thread. I just got this 77 CJ7 with a 304. It had a bad axle which I replaced. After replacing the axle and draining the gas tank (it had been sitting a while), I put fresh gas in it and cranked it up and drove home. About 20 minutes after I got home with it. I went out to it and was going to go visit a friend in it. I put the key in and turn it to run and the lights come on. As soon as turn it all the way to start everything turns off and won't come on again. After a while I can turn the key on and the lights do come back on, but as soon as I turn it to the start position same thing. Everything goes dark. I'm gonna clean and check all the connections on the starter solenoid tonight when I get home. I've already checked the cables at the battery. I really need to get this running as I just flipped my YJ right before Christmas and a friend let me get this CJ7 from them. My only other transportation is my Harley. The high today here was 15. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know.
g1gabyt3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.