Ignition switch problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition switch problem

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-08-2011, 05:29 PM   #1
Sedorbrian
1984 CJ7 

Ignition switch problem

If i turn my key all the way to start my cj, no go. It used to work SOMETIMES. Now i have a push button wired to the solenoid. My question is where is the problem?, is it in the key cylinder, the column, switch where the rod goes into, etc etc.

Sedorbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
Graffxman
1976 CJ7 

I have the same issue. Mine is the rod that goes down from the key switch. My column is cracked on top and I have to push pressure down on the crack so that the rod will do right. Will fix eventually, used to it now. Kind of a an anti-steal security feature for me.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

There is a gear behind the key and tumbler that is famous for jumping teeth due to a weak spring. You need to pick up a set from a parts house in the HELP section, someone posted a number the other day, I believe it is called a pinion and spector/sector gear. You have to tear the steering column down to get to them but it's not to tough and only requires a few common special tools.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Sedorbrian
1984 CJ7 

My friend and i tore his yj column apart and never got it back together, im a little nervous about doing it on mine...
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

It's really not difficult at all, tilt columns are a little more of a challenge and require an additional not so common special tool but still very doable. Where in PA are you? I spend way too much time up here maybe I can run by one night and guide you through it. You can also buy rebuilt columns on ebay for $100 or so.
Unread 09-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Sedorbrian
1984 CJ7 

I live right outside of hazleton, mine is a tilt
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
viimag
1979 CJ5 

The rod goes from the little gear in the steering column to the actual ignition switch mounted on top of the column under the dash. It is held in by 2 screws and is very easy to replace. It costs about $19 at Napa. I have had to replace 2 of them. One was a mechanical switch problem that prevented the jeep from cranking and the other time was due to an electrical short that fried the inside of the switch. Very easy and cheap part to replace. One of those "just replace it to rule it out as a problem" parts.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I spend a lot of time in Doylestown which shows to be almost 2 hours away. In the next month I am going to be in Boyertown, West Chester, New Holland, and Langhorne all of which are about 2 hours away. If no one else will help or you don't tackle it we can arrange to get together one night. The best for me will be the week of the 19th probably on the Tuesday. Just plan a late night cause I will be in New Holland, get off between 5 and 6 and have to drive up. I can bring the tools you don't have on the plane with me.
Unread 09-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Coming to Doylestown PA? Come on over for a few beers and I can give you a rack and sector gear from my column that I believed I saved as they were brand new. Have a couple ignition switches laying around that he can have too but they are for non-tilt units.

But I travel just as much as you probably do.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
mopar346
1984 CJ7 

I'll touch base next time I'm up there, I'm in Cherry Hill this week but I think it is Nov before I am back IN D-town. Fred's Jeep/Dodge store is having a car show in Oct around the 17th I think, so I may run over for that I'll be in Langhorne that week. I'll be in Cape May Courthouse the end of Oct and Turnersville the beginning of Nov so ya I travel a bit.
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
jimdubose
1978 CJ5 

click on this link:

http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

for a step by step column tear down, John Strenk also has one, couldn't find it. it isn't difficult, this guy makes it easier
jimdubose is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.