Ignition switch install- CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition switch install- CJ7

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Ignition switch install- CJ7

All,
I'm having ignition issues in that recently the engine wouldn't turn off with the key. The next time I came back to it the battery was dead, so the ignition obviously stayed on. When I charged the battery I noticed that some of the dashboard lights were still illuminated despite the key being in the off position.

So I decided to replaced the ignition switch (not the key cylinder) down on top of the steering column. I'm obviously having a moment of stupidity because I can't figure out for the life of me how the actuator rod end, which is pointing straight up, fits into the slot and hole of the ignition switch which is canted at a 45 degree angle.

I didn't pay enough attention when I pulled the old one out to see how it fit in. My replacement ignition switch matches the original perfectly, to include the 45 degree angle in which the actuator rod seemingly goes in. How the heck does this thing go together?!?!

Help!

This is my replacement part which matches the old one.

untitleda.jpg

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Bump....

Unread 09-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Webb78cj7
1978 CJ7 

Hello, The picture you posted of the blue ignition switch with the arrow pointing at the hole. The switch needs to lay with that hole directly on top of the actuator rod. The silver piece will go to the left "towards the drivers side tire," that bolts to the steering column. It will only fit on the column one way. The connectors will plug in on the right side of the steering column. I just did this a few weeks ago, and was in the same boat as you. I scratched my head for a couple days til I figured it out. Kind of an aggrivating design honestly.
Webb78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb78cj7 View Post
Hello, The picture you posted of the blue ignition switch with the arrow pointing at the hole. The switch needs to lay with that hole directly on top of the actuator rod. The silver piece will go to the left "towards the drivers side tire," that bolts to the steering column. It will only fit on the column one way. The connectors will plug in on the right side of the steering column. I just did this a few weeks ago, and was in the same boat as you. I scratched my head for a couple days til I figured it out. Kind of an aggrivating design honestly.
JEESH....I see what you mean - so that the plug will come in from the passenger side.....
Seems pretty obvious now- was definitely having a mental block

thanks!

Unread 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Webb78cj7
1978 CJ7 

No problem. I was in the same boat for a couple days until it just dawned while I was laying in bed going to sleep. I'm still in the midst of dealing with a huge electrical problem. So no jeep yet.
Webb78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM   #6
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

how do you connect the switch? my ignition switch was scrapped by my dad a couple years ago. (thanks a lot). I have purchased everything to get the switch back in... does the wiring harness just connect using female spade terminals? or is it a specific plug?

thanks.
smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

That should be a specific plug I think....

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Yea ,that should have a plug on your harness for it...

Dave in Muskegon using JeepForum
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #9
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

hmm.. I have a painless pre-term'd harness still in the box but I am not sure if it has that part.. any chance I can get a picture of everything plugged in?

gracias.
Unread 03-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #10
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

i think John Strenk occassionally posts photos of that connector. You could look through his old posts.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks. I will look it up.
Unread 03-04-2014, 08:16 AM   #12
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

well luckily, it appears the painless harness I have at the house has the appropriate plugs.. so, that's great news for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.