Ignition Switch Electrical Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
turkish6
1982 CJ8 

Ignition Switch Electrical Help

Hello All,

It's been a while since! The past 8 months I've been drowned with body work and paint and finally started reinstalling everything and have run into an electrical problem. I have CJ8 4.2L and I'm running an LPG only system with and HEI and nutter bypass.

Before I removed the tub for body work and paint everything was in working order and running very smooth. The ignition switch was replaced and rewired (by a "professional") about 2 years ago. When I removed all the wiring I labeled everything and later on went through and fixed any wires that were shady. The "professional" didn't do a good job with the connections but it worked. Fast forward to the present. The body is back together and I reinstalled all the wiring as per my labels. All grounds have a sold connect with no paint or rust. When I turn the key it cranks but doesn't start. Every 5th or 6th crank it has a split second ignition when I release the key. Also if I connect the HEI and LPG system directly to the battery she starts right up when I turn the key.

My search has lead me to an issue with the ignition switch. But where do I start. Is it smarter to just replace it or are there a few checks I can do to narrow down the issue? It seems as though the wires used to power the HEI and LPG system cut off while cranking.

Thanks as always

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 03:17 PM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did it work with your present setup before you took it apart? Or is this a new configuration you are trying to make work.

Yes there are circuits that cut out when cranking the engine. And you could of put the terminals in the wrong place when you repaired them.

Easiest would be a test light and see what circuits remain hot when cranking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2017, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
turkish6
1982 CJ8 

It worked perfectly before tearing it down. Currently from the engine side loom I'm using the solid red for the HEI and red/black for the LPG system. I will double check the ignition switch with the picture you sent. Thanks!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 06:21 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

post #5 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
turkish6
1982 CJ8 

John the last image you sent doesn't seem to open.

on another note I tested both the red wire and the red/black wire coming out of the loom and both doesn't have juice when cranking. is it okay to just tap into another heavy gauge wire until I sort things out?

Thanks
post #6 of 7 Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Try to adjust your switch in the slotted holes to see if you can get power in start. Otherwise, does your starter solenoid have an 'I' terminal? You can get power from there to supply the hei and lpg valve.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #7 of 7 Old 09-23-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
turkish6
1982 CJ8 

Update: adjusting didn't help but replacing it worked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.