Ignition problems- Will not do anything-HELP PLEASE - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition problems- Will not do anything-HELP PLEASE

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #61
pwscj7
1986 CJ7 

ok I hope I can get this resolved tomorrow and move on to the barkes. THANKS so much for all of the help. I am glad I can work on this myself and learn how all of this works

pwscj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:41 PM   #62
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmaduke View Post
Only autos have a neutral safety switch not manuals, the problem lies with that blue wire, it should have power running through it when the key is turned all the way to the start position.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO64CJ5 View Post
I have no direct knowledge, but the diagrams I've seen indicate a connector for a NSS, with a jumper for manual trans. This would be a potential point of failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The CJ's just use a different solenoid for this. The manual tranny one just grounds through a bolt to work, the auto tranny one has an independent ground post on it that goes to the NSS and gets grounded there.

Well you all are right. Early CJ's with the quardatrack tranny had the NSS on the steering column. When used with a a manual tranny it was jumpered.

Later CJ's used a NSS on the tranny and a special solenoid was used. The Solenoid had a third terminal that was grounded in park and neutral so the cil can be activated.

Sounds like not part of his problem.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #63
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwscj7 View Post
ok I hope I can get this resolved tomorrow and move on to the barkes. THANKS so much for all of the help. I am glad I can work on this myself and learn how all of this works
Just be sure to fill those holes you poked in the insulation before the wire rots out
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:44 AM   #64
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Mike i did find the other wire, it is black and has the same boot type as the other 2 small wires. It does have dirt on the inside so it looks like it has not been used in a while. It is the same snake that has the other wires going to the silinoid. Where would it go?
The IGN wire is the wire providing power to the ignition switch correct?
That black wire is not used. The 'I' post on the solenoid powers the coil when the starter is turning. The 'S' post on the solenoid turns on the solenoid.

What I am talking about is the bolt on the left in the photo where the positive battery cable bolts to the fender solenoid. On this bolt is a loop connector with a fuse link protective wire leading to the alternator to provide a connection for charging the battery. On this same bolt is a second loop connector with another fuse link wire that powers up the fuse panel and headlights, etc.

One of these loops and fuse link wires is just plain missing in your photo. This means someone has either jury rigged your wiring taking a major safety part out (fuse links are short circuit protectors, they blow hopefully before the wiring burns up) or it means you simply dropped the wire with the loop down when you changed the solenoid. That is easy to do. Drop it I mean.

So if it does finally start, then I would expect to see the battery 'not' getting charged because of the missing wire.

Oh, did the Jeep ever start?

Quote:

Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #65
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Well you all are right. Early CJ's with the quardatrack tranny had the NSS on the steering column. When used with a a manual tranny it was jumpered.

Later CJ's used a NSS on the tranny and a special solenoid was used. The Solenoid had a third terminal that was grounded in park and neutral so the cil can be activated.

Sounds like not part of his problem.
Thanks for the clarification John, it is nice to learn the differences.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #66
pwscj7
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
What I am talking about is the bolt on the left in the photo where the positive battery cable bolts to the fender solenoid. On this bolt is a loop connector with a fuse link protective wire leading to the alternator to provide a connection for charging the battery. On this same bolt is a second loop connector with another fuse link wire that powers up the fuse panel and headlights, etc.

One of these loops and fuse link wires is just plain missing in your photo
ok I looked at the wires again and I do have 3 wires going to the left side of the silinoid. One red wire from battery and 2 black wires that are in one connector.
Unread 03-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #67
pwscj7
1986 CJ7 

ok what the hell am I doing wrong. I took the ignition switch off done a continuity test on it and the switch works. Took the wires down from the column hooked them up pushed the slider back and engine turns over. Put the switch back in and NOTHING. I moved the switch down and the key had no resistance at start position moved it all the way up and have resistance but its not cranking. It has to be the adjustment right.
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #68
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Or your rack and/or cam gear is bad in the column.
Do you have a tilt column ?
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #69
pwscj7
1986 CJ7 

no tilt steering. It seems like the rod is just not going far enough down. When I put the switch in and it did not work I removed the screws and moved it with my hand a little at the time until I could turn the key and crank it but the bolt hole is about an 1/8" below the slot for the screw.?? I guess I could drill it out some.
Unread 03-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #70
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

You can hog it out some to make the needed adjustment,
Just hope it will return to the off position.
It might last for a while.
Sounds like a worn/stripped rack or cam gear.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #71
pwscj7
1986 CJ7 

I ended up putting a push button switch. Thanks for all the Help!!!

Problem solved
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #72
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I ended up putting a push button switch. Thanks for all the Help!!!

Problem solved
Now just hope when the key is in the off position, everything is actually off....

Tags
cj7 , ignition , ignition module , ignition switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.