Ignition problems... Want to switch to a push button start... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition problems... Want to switch to a push button start...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
viimag
1979 CJ5 

Ignition problems... Want to switch to a push button start...

Something is broken in my ignition system... One morning I came out to the jeep to find that I could not turn the key. I could turn it enough to unlock the wheel but nothing past that. I pulled the wheel and removed the key/lock tumbler and it worked fine. I jiggled some stuff around and put it back together and it worked. I drove it around all the next day fine, but when I went to start it up to go home... (It was midnight) it was stuck again. I jiggled and pushed and it broke loose again but now it will not supply voltage to the fuel pump. I am tired of this and want to replace it all with a push button or switch to start. What wires do I connect to the switch? I understand that this info is not good just out there on the internet as it is a great "How to steal a Jeep" item... So if anyone can help me, send me a PM and let me know how to be rid of this once and for all. Thx...

BTW... I have a Howell TBI system if it makes any difference

viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Lordwrench
1978 CJ7 

u just need to replace the switch on ur column that the rod from the key cylinder actuates.
Lordwrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #3
cjrenegade
1978 CJ5 

my friend had the same problem but he could turn it to the battery on the key. how to fix this you get your self a good push button with a good amp rating you get about 20 feet of 10 gauge wire to work with. you find place put your push button. you cut the wire in half so you have two 10 feet strips of wire. you find your solenoid and you put one piece wire on the battery termial of the solenoid and the other piece of wire to the s termail of the solenoid. you wire the button up and you get a push button starter.
cjrenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
you find your solenoid and you put one piece wire on the battery termial of the solenoid and the other piece of wire to the s termail of the solenoid. you wire the button up and you get a push button starter.
Thats exactly what I did when my ignition switch failed. Since then I've fixed the switch... That was 2 years ago. I was originally going to remove the button, but you never know when it might come in handy again.....
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

ANOTHER ONE!

It's probably the 'Rack & Pinion' in the steering column under the steering wheel and locking plate.
These give up quite commonly.

There is a little plastic gear on the end of the lock cylinder,
And it 'Pushes/Pulls' on a flat 'Rack' with gear teeth on it.
When the end breaks off that little cast aluminum rack for the tilt wheel,
Or the teeth start coming off that little plastic gear,
You wind up with what you describe.

Dorman/MotorMite products have the repair kit for around $10 and you will need a steering wheel puller and tool to get the lock plate off, but it's not hard to change the Rack & Pinion out, just time consuming.

-----------------------------------

Try putting your hand up under the dash, on the top of the steering column you will find a metal rod about 1/4" in diameter moving from the lock cylinder at the steering wheel, down to the actual ignition switch.

Try working the key while assisting that rod in it's movement...
If you can get that rod to move with the key switch and things work, you found your 'Issue'...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
viimag
1979 CJ5 

What I was thinking of doing was getting a 3 way toggle switch with momentary push on one end, that way I could have and off, accessory, and momentary start position. I would like to wire it up using the ignition wires under the dash but I am not sure what ones to use. Does this sound like a good solution?
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:28 PM   #7
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by viimag View Post
What I was thinking of doing was getting a 3 way toggle switch with momentary push on one end, that way I could have and off, accessory, and momentary start position. I would like to wire it up using the ignition wires under the dash but I am not sure what ones to use. Does this sound like a good solution?
Well, You would have to have all the needed circuits activated, and stay activated, during & after the momentary start position for everything to work.

I'd just fix the problem.
For safety, You wouldn't want the lock pin to engage the plate while your driving.
If it's the ignition switch, It less than $20 bucks and only takes 10-15 min. to change out.
If it's the rack/sector gear, They only cost $10 bucks, And about 30 min. to change out on the non tilt, and about 1 hour for tilt.
Times of course with proper tools.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
kielfortin
1985 CJ7 

Probably a little late to post this, but I will anyways. I was able to remove the lock and key cylinder contraption completely from my '85 CJ7. I ran the red power wire from the ignition switch to a lighted rocker switch (the idiot light, so I don't leave the damn thing on), which connected it to both the 10 gage ignition wires (2 red w/ white stripe wires) and the acc wire (yellow 10 gage). Also on the output of the rocker switch was a wire to a momentary push button switch, which outputted power to the blue wire from the ignition switch, which sends power to the starter solenoid. So to start the Jeep, you can turn on the rocker switch and then push the momentary to crank. The rocker switch also acts as the kill switch. Because I no longer need the key to run any power in the Jeep, I took apart the column and pulled the tumbler assembly out after turning it to the "acc" position to disengage the steering and shift locks. Now I no longer need a key to drive, and have not had problems with this set up as of yet. Granted if you don't live way out in the woods, you may want a battery isolator hidden somewhere to prevent theft, but otherwise you should be good to go!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.