Ignition Problems, No Spark, Need Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition Problems, No Spark, Need Help

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
pebo
1983 CJ7 

Ignition Problems, No Spark, Need Help

This is my first post and im a little new to the car building thing so im having some serious trouble figuring out how to get it started. any ways, i have no spark, i tried doing the test when you pull the spark plug out and touch it to the engine block and look for a spark when cranking, but there is none. but when i do the same test on the coil (put spark plug in boot from coil to distributor) i get a orange spark. so i feel like it is something towards the distributor side or something i set up wrong. Almost all the electrical is new, new harness, new spark plugs, and i did the team rush upgrade, but did not get a performance ignition module, but is still new (there was no spark with the old cap and rotor). One thing i did notice though is that the number one spark wire slot on the distributor is at like 8 or 7 o'clock but i have seen a lot of diagrams and the number one is at 6 o'clock. I have also done nutter bypass

photo-1.jpg

photo-2.jpg

photo-3.jpg

pebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

I can't blow the picture up, but your vacuum advance nipple should pretty much be pointing at the center of your grill...... Is the distributor installed in the correct position?
Unread 04-28-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
Tyger78
1984 CJ7 

I understand that it doesn't matter how it's installed as long as it's wired up correctly. What I meant was:

If it was removed, installed in a different position, then the cap was installed in the same previous position...... then the firing order would be wrong. especially since the cap is marked with numbers.

Hope that helps at all. I apologize if I'm just making it worse =)
Unread 04-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

At what point in all the wiring, etc. Did you lose spark? Was it dead before you started or?
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 05:07 AM   #5
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
i tried doing the test when you pull the spark plug out and touch it to the engine block and look for a spark when cranking, but there is none. but when i do the same test on the coil (put spark plug in boot from coil to distributor) i get a orange spark. so i feel like it is something towards the distributor side or something i set up wrong.
Bring the engine up to TDC on #1 compression stroke
Remove cap and insure the rotor is under the #1 tower. Rotate distributor or move the wires if you need to to get it aligned.
Insure the rotor isn't damaged (tip burned off, center tang gone, etc). Replace if necessary
Insure the cap isn't damaged (towers intact, no corrosion, etc). replace if necessary
Inspect and test all spark plug wires. replace if necessary.
Re adjust the timing if you disturbed the distributor.

I'm betting the problem is with the cap/rotor.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
pebo
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Bring the engine up to TDC on #1 compression stroke
Sorry to ask, but how to i find TDC, preferably without and expensive tools?
Unread 04-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #7
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Google is an amazing tool.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...ibutor-911745/

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #8
pebo
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys, ill try this stuff out and see what happens.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.