Ignition problems - HELP!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition problems - HELP!!!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-19-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
mckinleyn3

Ignition problems - HELP!!!

I have an 86' CJ-7 that shuts down whenever it feels like it. Example: I am driving down the road, 55MPH, and she just shuts down. Not a power problem, i.e. the lights are still on, radio playing, etc. Not a fuel problem, replaced fuel pump and filter, carb is getting plenty of fuel. I do not understand. Some times after it shuts down, it will start right up again, and sometimes, it takes a couple minutes of cranking. No backfiring, runs great, until it shuts down. I dare not drive it, because I have held up traffic quite a few times. No upgrades done yet. Any advice would be welcome.

mckinleyn3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2004, 08:12 PM   #2
amc232

well it can be as simple as replacing the gas cap, but i would try that first. What you are describing sounds like fuel starvation. Normally the first responce is always replacing the fuel pump, but since that has already been done, then the problem is that the pump is not being allowed to pump the required fuel. This could be due to a vapor lock in the fuel lines, but that usually occurs between shut down and restart. But if vacuum builds up inside the fuel tank, due to stuck or clogged cap or malfunctioning check valve or charcoal canister, that resists the suction of the pump.
amc232 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2004, 09:13 PM   #3
mckinleyn3

Thanks for the advice, however, I replaced the Gas cap and the problem still exists. Any other Ideas?
Unread 05-20-2004, 11:44 AM   #4
jeepmor

sounds like a coil

Sounds like your coil is dying. It gets hot, creates an open and dies because you lose spark. Then, it cools a while, makes contact again, and your off and running. Simple fix, about 40 bucks for an MSD blaster or similar.

To troubleshoot, get it to where it dies, then quickly pull and test the coil with an ohmmeter, it should be open. If you can heat the coil significantly while it's out of the vehicle, you could test this way also.

You can pull the coil and put it in a 200 degree F oven (lowest temp setting) for half an hour or so to simulate underhood temp conditons. If your real slick, you could have the ohmetter hooked up to it in the oven and watch it as the temp rises. But this might melt test leads and what not, use discretion if attempting this method. I would make some dummy leads out of high temp wire and run them out of the oven so you don't risk any of your ohmmeter test leads.

Depending on your budget and time, this method could take longer than just swapping in a known "good" coil and testing it in the same circumstances it is currently failing in. However, if you buy a new part and it's "not" the problem, most electrical parts cannot be returned, which is why troubleshooting may be worthwhile effort.

If not this, still sounds like a temperature related issue in a component going to or controlling the coil, like the ignition box.

I don't beleive it to be a cap and rotor issue or it would die and stay dead.

jeepmor
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2004, 07:17 PM   #5
mckinleyn3

The ignition coil is brand new so it should be working fine. I will try mounting it on the fire wall or the fender well to keep it away from the hot engine. If this works, I will then get a new coil. Think that will work?
Unread 05-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #6
geojeeper

Sounds like the ignition module. I had a wagoneer that used to do the same thing. Sometimes I could cool the module down and it would crank back up. Once I replaced it, never had the problem again.
geojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2004, 07:43 PM   #7
jeepmor

If it's not the coil, it

I agree with the ignition module answer since you stated the coil is new. If you cannot find one, say so, I'll dig through my old jeep parts. I think I have a new one that I put on after a total rebuild, not sure.

I went to a MSD ignition module and love it, consider this an option if your shelling out the bucks for an ignition module, upgrade to it over spending the same money for a OEM part you know "will" eventually fail.

jeepmor
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2004, 05:49 AM   #8
THl

I had the same problem with mine2 summers ago. I changed the module and it hasn't shut off since. Good luck
Tom
THl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2004, 06:09 AM   #9
Sodbuster

I agree, its probably the module. Mine did the exact same thing last year. I actually carry a spare now. They are pretty cheap at AutoZone with a lifetime warranty for whatever that's worth-doesn't do much good in the boonies.
Sodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
mckinleyn3

I will try changing the module. Thanks to eveyone for taking the time to help. Greatly appreciate it. I will keep you all posted as to weather or not this works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.