ignition problems 89' cj-7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ignition problems 89' cj-7

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-13-2003, 05:26 PM   #1
mudmud

ignition problems 89' cj-7

I've got a 1979 CJ-7 with the 304 v8. I have replaced the coil, distributer parts and the electronic ignition box. It has a new battery and the starter and alternater are solid. The Jeep starts like a champ when its cold or semi-cold but after it warms up it doesn't fire. I put a timing light on it when it was warm and not starting and it doesn't get any spark. The wierd part is if you just don't shut it off it will continue to run no problems. could it be a grounding problem or something in the ignition switch? I'm almost to the point of calling a priest to get the demons out of this rig so any suggestions would be great. Keep wheelin!

mudmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2003, 08:01 PM   #2
OldJeepguy
1979 CJ7 

Mine used to do that - turns out it was the didtributor stator. I picked up one from NAPA - about $30

Here is a link that somewhat explains it...scroll down to the "Failure Modes" section.

http://www.napaechlin.com/cpc2c.htm

Last edited by OldJeepguy; 02-13-2003 at 08:15 PM..
OldJeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
SirYoplait

I've got the same problem

Did you figure out what it was ? I've got the same exact problem. Starts great cold, drive to the grocery store to pick up one or two things, and i'd better stay there for an hour, or it's not starting. Let me know if you've solved it, i'm hoping to fix mine too.
SirYoplait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #4
Crash&Burn

I know you said you had a new electronic ign. box, if it is a motorcraft and it prob. is it still could be bad.......this is a classic sign of a weak box when it is hot....if you could pour so cold water on it when this happens you might elim. this.....

I'm not as good as I once was....but I'm good once as I ever was.
Crash&Burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2003, 10:11 AM   #5
mudmud

fixed problems

Thank you for the tip. The Jeep is running better than ever. All I had to replace was the stator in the distributer. A pretty easy job except for a few really small parts that are easily lost.
mudmud is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.