Ignition module with Painless wiring install. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition module with Painless wiring install.

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #1
lemmons1
1984 CJ7 

Ignition module with Painless wiring install.

Hello!

This is my 1st post to the jeepforum.com, and I have been reading these threads for the last 4 months since I bought my CJ-7. So thank you in advance, many have helped me get through some questions.

I am at the point of wiring my ignition in my '84 CJ-7, and I have come across something I am confused about. Every forum, thread, etc that I have read mentions using the purple/ violet wire coming out of the ignition module and twisting it to the orange wire, which they both go to the distributor. I pulled the entire old wiring harness and emissions ECM out and have it for reference if needed. I cut the wires going from the distributor to the ECM with plans on running them to the ignition module. I have upgraded to a TFI coil and already have in place the adapter, cap and rotor for the Team Rush upgrade.

This is my question/concern. There is a 4 wire connector coming from the ignition module that has the orange, purple, green and black wires. My OEM wiring harness with the 4 wire female connection only has 3 wires coming from it. - The purple wire does not come out of that connection. It ran before I did the wiring harness swap, so what wires do I use at this point? Do I buy another 4 pin connector and run the purple/orange wires to the dist or what? Please note, there is not even a terminal in the OEM connector for the purple male connector to plug in to.

Any and all help/ advice/ wisdom and knowledge is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you.

module-connections.jpeg  

Last edited by lemmons1; 02-27-2014 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Added the picture.
lemmons1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You have to extend the purple wire to the ICM.
Remember to twist the orange and purple wire around each other to cancel noise pickup.

This is what you had

The distributor pickup signal ran to the computer and was processed there. All the computer sent out was the modified pulse to the ICM. That was all it needed to fire the coil.

You need to add some wires now directly to the ECM like this:

I grabbed an old harness from an earlier jeep to make the change.
You can probably find a 4 wire connector on any old Ford truck that uses the DuraSpark system. I'm not sure if you can just buy the plug or not.

AutoZone is mighty proud of their harness for this:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=841834_0_0_

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:11 PM   #3
lemmons1
1984 CJ7 

GREAT! Thank you sir. I can buy the 4 pin connector from O'Reilly; Dorman makes one. I do have another question though. Do I need to install the ancient ballast resistor shown in the wiring kit pictured in your reply? I have the old harness like I mentioned and I have read where there is a tracer wire (mine was red with green tracer) that could have been a resistance type of wire. There is not much resistance in it though, only 1.5 ohms. Is there an alternative to the ballast resistor or do I need to install it at all?

Thank you again!
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You need the ballast wire in for lowered voltage when in run.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
lemmons1
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
You need the ballast wire in for lowered voltage when in run.
My original wiring harness did not have that installed on it, so I was wondering. Thank you, I appreciate it.
Unread 02-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmons1
GREAT! Thank you sir. I can buy the 4 pin connector from O'Reilly; Dorman makes one. I do have another question though. Do I need to install the ancient ballast resistor shown in the wiring kit pictured in your reply? I have the old harness like I mentioned and I have read where there is a tracer wire (mine was red with green tracer) that could have been a resistance type of wire. There is not much resistance in it though, only 1.5 ohms. Is there an alternative to the ballast resistor or do I need to install it at all? Thank you again!
1.5 ohms is all you need. The wire running from the firewall to the ignition coil is the resistance wire that would take the place of the ballast resistor.

You don't need an additional ballast resistor. Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Your original wiring harness should have this resistance wire already in place.
Unread 02-28-2014, 04:50 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmons1 View Post

My original wiring harness did not have that installed on it, so I was wondering. Thank you, I appreciate it.
The original harness has a fat red/orange wire coming from the firewall area at a crimp connector that feeds the power in run. This is the ballast wire and this is one of the 'custom ignition' parts that doesn't come with the painless harness. My centech harness came with a ceramic ballast resistor to replace this.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The original harness has a fat red/orange wire coming from the firewall area at a crimp connector that feeds the power in run. This is the ballast wire and this is one of the 'custom ignition' parts that doesn't come with the painless harness. My centech harness came with a ceramic ballast resistor to replace this.
Here is the splice Mike is talking about with the resistance wire:

If there is ducktape on the splice then you know it's original...

Tags
ignition , module , painless , team rush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.