Ignition Module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition Module

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-18-2003, 05:50 PM   #1
TG CJ7

Ignition Module

We've been having trouble starting my brothers stock '84 for about a year now. In fact it sat all winter because he didnt have time to work on it. Now that its getting warm he wants to drive it. Heres the problem.......
We are getting no spark. It seems like we are getting power to the module, but not out of it. We have tried 2 NEW ignition modules.
This is a quote from Hollywood which explained a lot last year.

Quote:
if you are getting juice to the ignition module (via the blue wire), put the red/blue plug back together and unplug the other connector (orange, green, purple, and black wires). Again, with someone cranking the motor, test the orange wire COMING FROM the module. If there's no power here your module may be bad. If this is the case, the bypass will not work - but replacing the module ($25) will solve your problem anyway
The really strange thing is when I test the plug comming from the module (Brand New)
- the orange wire has no power.
- the black and green wire shows a very slight current (dim test light)

Sorry this as been so long. It seems like a very strange problem to me.
Thanks in advance
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 08:54 AM   #2
mxg342
1984 CJ7 

The plugs for the module went bad on my 84. We just cut them out and soldered the wires together and I never had any other problems.
'84 CJ-7 Junkyard TBI 360/T18/D300, 4" 4WDH Lift, D44 front with ARB and HS/D44 Rear w/ Detroit, 4.56s, 36" Iroks, TFI, TJ flares, Homemade rocker guards and bumpers with swing out, Optima Yellow Top, M8000, York OBA, 6pt cage
"when you're up to your *** in alligators, it is hard to remember that your original intention is to drain the swamp"
mxg342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 03:43 PM   #3
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

i had mine break the one wire were it goes in to the plug or just take out the plug and crimp in conectors that you can take them apart and coat them with elec grease to keep them from coroding
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 04:30 PM   #4
TG CJ7

Thanks for your help
I dont think the plugs are corroded because the male ends are brand new and still look clean. I get power when I use the test light in the female end. I also loaded the female end with dielectric grease. Im going to clean the female end with a pipe cleaner anyway.
Right now im going to have the module checked at Autozone.
Is it possible that the module has to be grounded to the body?

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2003, 04:40 PM   #5
MR.CJ-7

Yep the module has to be grounded. I found this out the hard way too. Mine grounds through the 4 bolts that hold it on the fenderwell. I ran an extra chassis ground to one of the bolts to help and no problems since.
Unread 05-20-2003, 12:55 AM   #6
Sandman74

Quote:
Yep the module has to be grounded. I found this out the hard way too. Mine grounds through the 4 bolts that hold it on the fenderwell. I ran an extra chassis ground to one of the bolts to help and no problems since.
ditto- no probs since

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.