ignition lock cylinder - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ignition lock cylinder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 08-16-2001, 01:17 AM   #1
dusty

ignition lock cylinder

Someone unfortunately tried to steal my jeep and now my igniton is all messed up i cant fit my key in it anymore. how would i go about replacing the lock cylinder. is there a way other than drilling it out

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2001, 01:25 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

STOP! PUT THE DRILL AWAY! I'm glad that they didn't get your Jeep. If your jeep is 76 and up:
1) pull of horn button
2)remove steering wheel nut
3) use steering wheel puller to remove wheel
4) use a lock plate compresser to release the snap ring on the lock plate.
5)loosen turn signal cam and piviot it out of way to access key lock.
6) remove retaining screw and slide out lock
7) Auto Zone has a replacement for about 12 bucks. 85 and 86 models use a different GM style. Good luck with it.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2001, 11:17 AM   #3
Jbrown

My husband and I have had a big headache with the ignition switch. We bought a Haynes manual and had no luck with their description on how to remove the ignition switch, and everyone said to remove the steering wheel. However, after buying a Chilton's manual and our mechanic changed it out for us, it's not as hard as we thought.

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2. Remove the turn signal switch.
3. Insert the key. Position as fillows:
1976-83 With the manual transmission, put it in the ON position, with automatic, put it in the OFF/LOCK.
1984-86: Two dent positions, clockwise, beyond OFF/LOCK.
4. Working through the slot next to the turn signal switch mounting boss, use a thin screwdriver to release the lock cylinder.
5. To install, insert the key in the new lock cylinder. Hold the sleeve and turn the key clockwise until it stops. Align the cylinder retaining tab with the housing slot and insert the cylinder. Push the cylinder in, rotate to engage, then push in until the retaining tab engages the housing groove.
6. The rest of the procedure is the reverse of removal.

This is from "Chilton's Manual". I wish I had know before I took it to my mechanic. We could have done it ourself.

Hope it helps.
Jbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2001, 01:23 PM   #4
Rage

I just did this myself last week in my YJ. It was quite simple as stated previously. I had never done it before either. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to do.
The part was only 19.00. Good luck. Dont pay someone $200.00 (what I was quoted)to do it.
Unread 11-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
Chlarock
1984 CJ7 

Follow "only in a jeep cj"'s instructions but you may have a locking tab instead of a locking screw. Just push the tab in with a small screwdriver and the cylinder should slide out. If it's that messed up where you can't insert the key then "jbrown"'s advice won't help.
Chlarock is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.