Ignition Key Cylinder Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition Key Cylinder Issue

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
magic_man1
1976 CJ5 

Ignition Key Cylinder Issue

I had rebuilt my 1976 CJ5 steering column roughly a 18 months ago and when it was back together, I found that the ignition key cylinder would not allow me to turn the key from the "OFF" position directly to the "START" position in a single twist. For some reason it will go to the "ON" position but then there is something stopping it from going to "START". But, if I turn it one click back towards "OFF" then proceed forward to "START", it will allow the cylinder to start the engine as it should.

This was not a problem 18 months ago, when I had a carburetor on the engine. Now that I have installed a TBI fuel injection kit that's computer is engaged at the "ON" position, it seems to be giving the computer fits when the power cuts out for that brief second while I have to turn the key backwards. This is because the power is cut-off as it is starting it's boot-up process.

Any ideas on what might be wrong? Is my "new" key cylinder bad? Is there a piece on the cylinder that just needs to be ground off, to allow it to rotate?

Thanks!

magic_man1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Sounds to me like you could have a problem with the rack binding when you turn the key. Unfortunately, you have to go back into the column for that, but it sounds like you're going to have to anyway. Check the rack/sector component. Good luck.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

You may have a couple of problems.
Key Switch - I can't think of anything that would prevent the key from going between the ON and START position other than a defective key/switch. Unless maybe an automatic may have some sort of neutral safety block (all my vehicles are manual floor shift so never had to deal with that before)?
Actuator/Rack - Even if you have to jiggle the key a little in the ON position, it shouldn't cut power unless there is something out of whack in the actuator mechanism (assuming you're not turning the key all the way back to OFF).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
column , cylinder , ignition , key , steering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.