Ignition issues. CJ7 won't start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition issues. CJ7 won't start.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-02-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
copeakbagger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ignition issues. CJ7 won't start.

My 86 CJ7 has decided to give me another headache. Driving it the other day my wife stalled it and couldn't get it going again. When I got there, there was no response at all when turning the ignition on. No noise, no click, nothing. Hooked it up to jumpers and it fired right up. Drove it a few times and then today it happened to me in the driveway (thankfully). It started at first but then I turned it off for a second and tried it again. Nothing. I noticed that when switched to "Accessory" I have power to the radio, cig lighter and clock. When I switch it to "On/Ignition" the I lose all power, put it in "Off/Lock" and the clock still runs. Open to suggestions. I'm pretty sure the battery and Alternator are ok but who knows. Thanks in advance!

copeakbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

How old is the battery?
Pull the alt. out and have it load tested for amps.
Also(after charging)have the battery load tested.
You'll have to take it to a shop to have this done 'rite'.
Volts mean nut'n here. Amps are where it's at.
LG
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #3
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Volts mean nut'n here. Amps are where it's at.
x2. Volts is nothing more than a measurement of electrical potential. 0 volts is no potential, 600 is a lot of potential.

Amps, or amperes, is the literal amount of electrons passing a point in a given amount of time.

It is certainly possible that the battery has enough amps to operate the radio but not enough to turn the starter.

As suggested, I'd have your battery tested first. If that's good, have the alternator tested.
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #4
copeakbagger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I checked and the battery is actually 3yrs old so you may be right (I'm getting my jeeps mixed up). Plus my wife flooded it after she stalled so she may have drained it. Just like me to try to make the simple problems more complicated. I'm leaving town for a few days and will have to check it out next week. Thanks
Unread 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Could equally be the battery cables and clamps or connection of cable to solenoid or engine block. A corroded connection at the clamp or insecure clamp would give this kind of behaviour as soon as you tried to put a heavy load on it, sometimes working and sometimes not.

If the battery is fine if you can load it up for say 20 seconds and the voltage remains above 10.6 Volts. Any less and it is crapolaed. What does your voltmeter say? (Dash gauges are unreliable but best you have)

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #6
copeakbagger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, simple solution to a simple problem. Got home from my trip tested the battery and yep... bad on Amps. Put a new one in and she fired right up. Now on to my next problem I discovered immediately after starting it up. I'll start a new thread for it and will again welcome any help. Ugh! I love owning Jeeps.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.