Ignition Coil and Distributor ID help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition Coil and Distributor ID help

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-27-2014, 09:10 AM   #1
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

Ignition Coil and Distributor ID help

I am wondering what kind of ignition coil and distributor I have. I see no markings on it and am trying to finish hooking up my ignition system after doing a harness swap.

Do I need to run a ballast resistor for the coil?

Does the ground (-) side of the coil hook up to the fused wire that is attached to the bracket that is mounting the coil? If no, what attaches to that wire coming from the bracket? It has what looks to be a fuse attached to it, but I'm no expert electrician.

Any concerns or tips with the ignition system I have or distributor I have? Hooking up the last of the harness and want to make sure I do it right.

You guys have been a great help so far and I appreciate the advice I have recieved!

O and this is on a 1984 CJ7 with 258 I-6

Thanks in advance!

TexAg09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
CSP

You have the stock Duraspark ignition system there.

I have no idea why that wire is connected there to the bracket. That little metal canister is not a fuse, it is a condensor used for noise reduction in the electrical system. Pretty sure it isn't doing anything there though.

The stock wiring has a resistor wire built into it, so if you're using the stock wires there's no need for a ballast resistor.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

That is a ground wire with a quick crimp connector on it. What harness are you using. Aftermarket ones don't come with your coil/distributor/ICM wiring, you have to use your old one.

Coil neg and distributor hooks to the ICM over on the drivers side fender. Coil needs a ballast wire (stock) or resistor (aftermarket).
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

I am running the painless 10110 preterminated harness.

Do you need the resistor with the stock setup that I am running? I will be reusing the stock icm harness more than likely
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #5
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

I found what was needed. I just had to flip a few pages ahead in the book. I just needed a proper ID of what system I had.

Thanks guys and will update once she is up and going! Getting close feels so good!
Unread 08-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg09 View Post
I am running the painless 10110 preterminated harness.

Do you need the resistor with the stock setup that I am running? I will be reusing the stock icm harness more than likely
The coil power must have a resistor. Only Jeep used a resistor wire, all others use a ceramic ballast resistor.

Have you nuttered your engine? In stock form it has an ECU under the dash controlling the timing.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
TexAg09
1984 CJ7 

It is nuttered
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexAg09 View Post
It is nuttered
If you are using the stock ICM wiring, then just include the coil power wire as well as its negative wire. It is a soft fat reddish wire about 2' long that crimps to the ICM power wire and the coil and fender solenoid's I terminal power wire. The crimps will be covered from the factory in high heat duct tape, they get hot enough to melt black tape glue. This ballast wire must be crimped in place, so don't get fancy with the soldering iron, it hurts the wire properties.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.