if you had this cj7 frame, how would you build it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > if you had this cj7 frame, how would you build it?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

if you had this cj7 frame, how would you build it?

First off, new guy here!

I've been doing my best to search this forum but I'm still learning my way around so forgive me for missing any similar threads.

That said, I have an '83 cj7 that I recently aquired. the frame is rough by Nrth Carolina standards but pristine if you are from up north. No holes that I can see.so far the rear x-member will be replaced as it is a little dinged, and I have already broken three or four bolts at the steering box and rear shackle hangers. I nearly have the frame stripped bare. My goal is to build a solid frame so that I won't have to take the jeep back this far apart again! I am building a nice 80/20 rig for mostly street and some mid level wheeling, with a V8 and possibly a spring over with 35's max.

Right now I want to gusset the shackle hangers, reinforce the stering box with the rugged ridge kit, tie the frame to a yj or tj family style bar (I have a Glass tub already) and just generally clean and prep the rest of the frame. I have a budget of $800 for the frame.

Any additional advice regarding getting the inside of the boxed frame cleaned up and squared away would be appreciated. I plan to blast the frame myself and prime with zink chromate primer and paint with oil based farm implement paint on the outside.

So how would you build it? Thanks in advance!

CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
pazur
1981 CJ7 

first get to the broken bolts. These are ones of the toughest to extract.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
1983 CJ7 

There are several methods to repair the blind nuts in the frame, one member here used weld-nuts. I used Grade 8 nuts welded in place from the outside, you can see how I did it in my build thread. I also went down to bare metal, primed and painted it. Rustoleum on the inside and satin black on acrylic enamel on the outside.
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Well sounds you have a handle on it. If you break any weld nut off I would replace with some thing like these.

3/8-16, High Pilot Height 3 Projection Weld Nut | Fastenal

Any cracks in the frame I would drill an 1/8 hole at the very ends of the crack to relive any stress then weld it up.

As far as painting the frame I would use Zero Rust
Official Distributor for Zero-Rust Paints Free Shipping on ALL internet orders. | Best solution for rust removal and cotrol.
Its very similar to POR but a lot easier to work with and it comes in spray cans. Unlike POR if you chip it the only exposed area is effected where as POR will allow and capture moisture under the film. Then top coat with chassis paint or what ever you like.

I would stay away from Rugged Ridge almost every thing I have gotten from them is bottom of the barrel. I run run a M.O.R.E. kit. Their stuff is top shelf
SB7686 CJ Steering Box Mount H.D.

And there others out there that make high quality steering braces.

When you replace your shackle hangers I think the world of JKS
JKS Manufacturing: Leaf Spring Suspension

And while you have everything apart you might consider changing your front shackle hanger to handle YJ springs.

Just my two cents.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Update;

I ordered the weld nuts listed above, but haven't gotten around to punching the old ones out yet. I got the #40 harbor freight sandblaster, and after a VERY steep learning curve got the frame clean. I used play sand and a respirator. I found no cracks but a litle more rust than I thought at the rear shackle mounts. I now am the proud owner of a Miller Maxstar 150! I nipped a little out of the bottom 3/4ths of the frame and left about a six inch "tang" on the top of the rear section and burned some 3/16" steel box in.
I have gone over the whole thing with MAJIC brand primer and oil enamel form Agri-Supply, using reducer and hardener it Came out AWESOME! This weekend if parts arrive in time it will be 3/16ths rear x-member, SS brake lines and the Full Traction Shackle reverse kit! Oh wait it's 100 degrees outside with high humidity...
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Well sounds you have a handle on it. If you break any weld nut off I would replace with some thing like these.

3/8-16, High Pilot Height 3 Projection Weld Nut | Fastenal
If I had known we had a Fastenal in town when I was repairing my frame last year I would have used weld nuts too.
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
jeffyjensen
1980 CJ5 

i got a few cans of this internal frame spray from eastwood and it really works well. Internal Frame Coating w/Spray Nozzle - Undercar Coatings - Undercar & Drivetrain
i used two cans on my 5 if you still need something for the inside of the frame. not sure how well it will cover with paint thats next week for me.
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
CSP

Upon assembly, coat every bolt with anti-sieze.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Upon assembly, coat every bolt with anti-sieze.
Yes, anti-seize is your future friend. You'll thank yourself 10 years from now.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 08:10 PM   #10
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

So I thought now that I have Photo privelages y'all might want to see what I've been up to! Have a look and tell me how the photos look as for size and clarity, I cant resize them myself, I have to ask the Queen, and I would rather you guys suffer than me!
pict0044.jpg   pict0102.jpg   pict0105.jpg   pict0109.jpg   pict0112.jpg  

Unread 07-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I see you have one of those new Omni-Directional radio antennaes and that the Queen is taller than you!?

You have a great start. I wish I had the fab skills that you have! Keep the pics rolling.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Oh, no fab skills involved... I just dont have the sense to say "Maybe I should pay someone to do this". And that is NOT a radio antenna, It is a ground penetrating radar system that the PO installed, that cost a whole bunch of extra money to include in the purchase price!
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Looks like the Jeep is "excited"
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM   #14
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Nope, it 's not radar. It's a curb feeler!
Unread 07-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Got the front body mount stuck back on there...
Got the s.s. brake lines today, the rear x-member comes tommorow, and the Full Traction shackle reverse is due on thurs... it would be a busy weekend except that I am going to 'Jeepin for the cure in Eden. I Cant wait to see some good looking iron and get some more ideas!
pict0116.jpg   pict0117.jpg  

Tags
cj7 , frame , inside , sandblast , ultimate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.