if you had this cj7 frame, how would you build it?
First off, new guy here!
I've been doing my best to search this forum but I'm still learning my way around so forgive me for missing any similar threads.
That said, I have an '83 cj7 that I recently aquired. the frame is rough by Nrth Carolina standards but pristine if you are from up north. No holes that I can see.so far the rear x-member will be replaced as it is a little dinged, and I have already broken three or four bolts at the steering box and rear shackle hangers. I nearly have the frame stripped bare. My goal is to build a solid frame so that I won't have to take the jeep back this far apart again! I am building a nice 80/20 rig for mostly street and some mid level wheeling, with a V8 and possibly a spring over with 35's max.
Right now I want to gusset the shackle hangers, reinforce the stering box with the rugged ridge kit, tie the frame to a yj or tj family style bar (I have a Glass tub already) and just generally clean and prep the rest of the frame. I have a budget of $800 for the frame.
Any additional advice regarding getting the inside of the boxed frame cleaned up and squared away would be appreciated. I plan to blast the frame myself and prime with zink chromate primer and paint with oil based farm implement paint on the outside.
There are several methods to repair the blind nuts in the frame, one member here used weld-nuts. I used Grade 8 nuts welded in place from the outside, you can see how I did it in my build thread. I also went down to bare metal, primed and painted it. Rustoleum on the inside and satin black on acrylic enamel on the outside.
1978 Cherokee, 360/T400/QT...5.3/4L60E/NP241C in the works...
I ordered the weld nuts listed above, but haven't gotten around to punching the old ones out yet. I got the #40 harbor freight sandblaster, and after a VERY steep learning curve got the frame clean. I used play sand and a respirator. I found no cracks but a litle more rust than I thought at the rear shackle mounts. I now am the proud owner of a Miller Maxstar 150! I nipped a little out of the bottom 3/4ths of the frame and left about a six inch "tang" on the top of the rear section and burned some 3/16" steel box in.
I have gone over the whole thing with MAJIC brand primer and oil enamel form Agri-Supply, using reducer and hardener it Came out AWESOME! This weekend if parts arrive in time it will be 3/16ths rear x-member, SS brake lines and the Full Traction Shackle reverse kit! Oh wait it's 100 degrees outside with high humidity...
So I thought now that I have Photo privelages y'all might want to see what I've been up to! Have a look and tell me how the photos look as for size and clarity, I cant resize them myself, I have to ask the Queen, and I would rather you guys suffer than me!
Oh, no fab skills involved... I just dont have the sense to say "Maybe I should pay someone to do this". And that is NOT a radio antenna, It is a ground penetrating radar system that the PO installed, that cost a whole bunch of extra money to include in the purchase price!
Got the front body mount stuck back on there...
Got the s.s. brake lines today, the rear x-member comes tommorow, and the Full Traction shackle reverse is due on thurs... it would be a busy weekend except that I am going to 'Jeepin for the cure in Eden. I Cant wait to see some good looking iron and get some more ideas!