The idots back with another gas tank question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The idots back with another gas tank question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #16
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

The difference I see is you have a a cj-8 scrambler tank and are putting a regular gas tank to replace it. Is your jeep a cJ-7? I put the mts tank in and I don't remember but I think I had extra hole on the frame but it didn't matter . I'll have to go look but the jeep is out in the country and it will take a day or two before I can look at it. The electrical harness for the fuel gauge is made to plug into your wiring.

texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #17
jwhite_00

The aftermarket 20/21 gallon tanks are based on the 15 gallon stock tank, the only difference is that they are taller to gain capacity. Y
ou need a 15 gallon skidplate, two straps for the side, one over the top and an extension that lowers the skidplate for clearance to the body. The demand for a replacement stock plastic is so low it wouldn't be worthwhile to make, they simply don't rust out. You can buy aftermarket skidplates for the OEM 20.
The Scramblers and Cjs used the same tanks and skids.
jwhite_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #18
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Morris has a skid plate foe 59.99. They changed the design for the skid plate some time after 1980. Prior to that there was one strap across the top and the skid plate had sides making it look like a box the fuel cell sit in.
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #19
VPALLARI
1983 CJ7 

Hey fellas - Just getting back to this. I updated my profile. I have an 83 CJ7 with an OEM 20 gallon poly tank. Im not afraid to get a new skid plate if thats what I need to do. As for the rollover check valves, thats kind of where Im really hung up right now. Im not is there an input for these on the MTS tank? I see from MTS site, it has Filler hose, vent, the input and the return???? on the sending unit. On the back side of the picture which im thinking woudl be the driver side of the gas tank their are 2 more brass inputs. Can I just attach the roll over check values to those fittings?
VPALLARI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM   #20
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

I don't see why not. I would call MTS and ask them. They're pretty good to work with.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.