Idler pulley/serpentine noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Idler pulley/serpentine noise

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
Willie_Maker
1986 CJ7 

Idler pulley/serpentine noise

Hi all, Im new to the group here, but have been looking for a little while for info on my new, to me, 86 CJ-7. I found a sweet heart locally and picked it up for a project with my son, 13yrs old. Its almost all original with the exception of a lift and 33's, 237K miles. runs great.

Issue: I replaced the serpentine belt and the new one immediately started squealing. Ive tried belt dressing, nope. Adjusting the idler pulleys alignment, nope. Tightening/loosening the belt, nope. A little bar soap on the belt has helped but only temporarily.

Question: one of the idler pulleys is plastic, and one metal. The plastic one looks like its not original and is a little wobbly, minimally, and appears to have been melted slightly by rubbing on the outside washer/plate that is held by the mounting bolt. Is the plastic pulley original? and why would soap quiet the belt if the pulley is messed up???

Thanks

Willie_Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

A buddy has an 85 CA edition CJ-7 with the serp belt. Both of his idler pullies were noisy and he had trouble finding the correct (plastic) ones with the inside bearings to match his old one. He found ones that were so close, they worked fine. As far as soap, don't know

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.