Idle Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Idle Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
abrokjp
1978 CJ5 

Idle Issues

Let me begin by saying I am not a mechanical genuis. What I know I learned here or from my CJ5 (usually the hard way).

I drove my Jeep for about an hour early this morning with no issues. A couple of hours later my daughter and I took it to town and it would completely die when coasting to a stop sign. It would start right back up every time, but I had to keep my foot on the gas when at a stop.

I figured the idle was out of adjustment so when I got back to the house I ran it and just screwed the idle screw in/out until it was running even. Took it for a test drive with no issues. Later I was noodling around under the hood and heard something that normally isn't there. I look at my fuel filter (clear) and there are bubbles coming up in the fuel that is present in the filter. Screwed the idle adjustment back out and it stopped.

I assume these bubbles can't be good, right? But if I have to have it turned up to get it to run, is there something else that could be causing my issues?

Thanks,
Matt

abrokjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
honkytonkrollti
1980 CJ5 

Please fill out your Jeep profile so we can see your Jeep's specifics ie what motor/carb you're running. This will help you get answers faster.

Respectfully,

Kevin
honkytonkrollti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
abrokjp
1978 CJ5 

258 w/MC 2100.
Unread 07-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
abrokjp
1978 CJ5 

This is weird. It is like when you blow through a straw into water - steady line of bubbles in the filter. I have checked all of the soft fuel lines for cracks and all of the clamps. I couldn't see anything but I am going to replace all of them anyway.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
Unread 07-27-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
twmattox

Fuel pick-up filter (also called a fuel sock). If it is cracked it can cause this too...especially when the fuel level drops...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #6
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Sounds like vapor lock. It sounds like you may not have the correct fuel filter that has a third fitting on it to allow gas vapor to return back to the gas tank.
Unread 07-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
tigercreek
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Sounds like vapor lock. It sounds like you may not have the correct fuel filter that has a third fitting on it to allow gas vapor to return back to the gas tank.
I second this.
The filter with 1 inlet and two outlets really helps. Make sure the return outlet (offset) is on top.

Tags
carb , carburator , dying , fuel filter , fuel pump , idle , stalling , vapor lock

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.