ICM module - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ICM module

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 02-28-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

ICM module

I am reinstalling all of my electrical equipment and I am thinking of replacing the ICM. I have a 1979 CJ7 304 and the ICM says motorcraft 12A199. To the left of the model number it is stamped D8FE. To the right of the model number it is stamped AB. What does all that mean and what is the replacement ICM that I buy? I know that there are different ones. By the way I am in california if that makes a difference.

Matt

mjeckell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The stock one is a Far better quality one than they sell aftermarket. There are some nasty ones out there that just plain come dead on the box, Wells is one bad one, I think someone mentioned weiss too? Motorcraft is the good one.

One upgrade you can do to it is to ground the black wire to the battery. Stock this wire is the main circuit ground and it relies on the hold down foot of the distributor for it's connection. The plugs on it usually get filled with dielectric grease also.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

can you still buy the motorcraft 12a199 ICM module? What does the D8FE mean as well as the AB?

Matt
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Why do you want to replace your ICM? Is the case just beat and corroded and you are looking to spiff up your engine compartment, or are you looking for a performance upgrade?
Unread 02-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
mjeckell
1979 CJ7 

I works just fine. Ground up restoration. I bought a painless wiring harness and have not installed the wiring yet. I was just thinking about replacing the ICM as well. But it sounds like I am better off keeping the original rather than a new one. Is that everyones suggestion? One of the tabs on the connectors snapped off which I dont think is a big deal and I am in the process of cleaning the unit up. I just wanted some options. No performance upgrades since it is difficult to deal with california emissions and changing things. What do those stamped numbers mean?

Matt
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:32 PM   #6
Drew2468
1976 CJ5 

So Matt, did anyone ever answer your question. I have the same module in my '76 CJ-5 and I too am wondering what those letters mean. Also, I am in need of a vacumn advance for the distributor if anyone can help.
Thanks
Drew2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew2468 View Post
So Matt, did anyone ever answer your question. I have the same module in my '76 CJ-5 and I too am wondering what those letters mean. Also, I am in need of a vacumn advance for the distributor if anyone can help.
Thanks
Are you sure? Unless it was changed out, you should have a Prestolite ignition system.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #8
Drew2468
1976 CJ5 

The numbers on the module are exactly the same as Matt's - 'Motocraft D8FE 12A199 A B'
I'm sure this not the original ignition system for this vehicle but since I'm not the original owner I do not know what came before.
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
gone2hatteras
1983 CJ7 

The D8FE 12A199 AB is a Ford engineering number. The D8FE is a 1978 design, the 12A199 is ign. module, the AB is second revision of the first design.
gone2hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2011, 05:50 AM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I also have a 79, but with the 259 and my DuraSpark box says Motorcraft. It is the original box and a good one, I did the Team Rush up grade with the Summit CDI box and have the stock system for back up. If you are going to change it, go better.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
Drew2468
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the info gone2hatteras. Insight is always interesting.
Unread 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #12
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeckell View Post
can you still buy the motorcraft 12a199 ICM module? What does the D8FE mean as well as the AB?

Matt
It's a date code.
D means 70's, 8 is the year,
Module made in '78, FE is Ford Engineering.

You have heard of a 'C6' transmission, released in '66.
Same with 'C4', released in '64.
Since these were the only marking on the transmission case, people started referring to them by those numbers.
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
kosburn
1979 CJ7 

ICM module

Mine, exactly the same as others listed her (Motorcraft 12A199), is working but upon closer inspection noticed the build up and grime on it. My question is this... can I clean this one up (opposed to buying a new one) AND, if so, what do I clean it with? Degreaser?

Thanks!
kosburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosburn View Post
Mine, exactly the same as others listed her (Motorcraft 12A199), is working but upon closer inspection noticed the build up and grime on it. My question is this... can I clean this one up (opposed to buying a new one) AND, if so, what do I clean it with? Degreaser?

Thanks!
Just try a little first, you don't want to use anything that will dissolve the compound in the back side. WD40 is a decent cleaner for electrical parts. I would be wanting to use a contact cleaner in the plugs, followed by a packing with dielectric grease.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #15
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeckell View Post

Matt
D8FE is the prefix D means 1970's, 8 means 1978, F means what it was made for, so F is Ford, and E is engineering. A different number might mean it was a replacement part.

12A199 is the base number. All of these modules had this base #. Like all EEC IV PCM's were 12A650's.

AB is the suffix. Tells you how many times the part has been changed or updated. The first run of them is just A. Then B, C, etc. Starts over at AA. AB is WAAYYY down the line.

This is all from ancient memory, and therefore I reserve the option of it being wrong or not totally accurate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.