I6 CJ7 Hedman headers-collector clearance issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I6 CJ7 Hedman headers-collector clearance issues

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-26-2010, 03:00 AM   #1
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

I6 CJ7 Hedman headers-collector clearance issues

I had these headers on my other CJ and have now put them on my new one. The problem is where the 3 collector bolts go in to connect it to the exhaust. The very top hole has pretty much ZERO room to get a bolt in there. I did finally get one in after hitting the crap out of it, but it's a much shorter bolt than the other ones and therefore I cant double nut it to keep it from coming loose like collector bolts do. I have to hold the bolt head with my finger and tighten the nut with a ratchet because there is a bellhousing rib in the way. The only thing I can think to do is grind the the rib and some of the bellhousing off to fit the right length bolt in there and have proper room to tighten it with a wrench. Oh and the collector gasket is leaking because of it. I don't know what the deal is, my other CJ had no problem with this, it was tight also, but I had working room. Also my other CJ had a 4 inch lift as opposed to this one having 2-1/2'' lift. Which thinking about it now may have given me more clearance?

I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 03:57 AM   #2
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Try this for the collector gasket they work great. Percy's High Performance - Online Store
Then would a 12 point header exhaust bolt with a peened nut work?
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 06:52 PM   #3
I6CJ7
1984 CJ7 

what does the 12 point header bolt look like? The main problem is I have to hold the bolt head with my finger because it's to small of a space to get a wrench or socket on the bolt head. And the peened nut seems like the way to go, or a nyloc nut, but would the nyloc hold up to the heat?

thanks,
I6CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Go with the peened nut since the nyloc will melt. This link will give you reference to what a 12 point header bolt looks like. Mr. Gasket Chrome Header Bolts - JEGS
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.