I want some SLOP in the drive train! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I want some SLOP in the drive train!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-20-2012, 06:39 AM   #1
Manhattan
1981 CJ8 

I want some SLOP in the drive train!

I've had several CJs - all manuals, e.g. T-150, 176, No autos. I just started driving the CJ I've been building for the past 4+ years. And it's taking some getting used to. Help me out - tell me this is normal... ish.

Details:
- Fuel injected 5.7 (fresh rebuild, stock L05 specs)
- SM465 (fresh rebuild) driven as a 3-speed
- D300 (fresh rebuild)
- 20/30 (fresh rebuild) Detroits, 4.56 gears
- New driveshaft and joints
- 35s

On the plus side, I'm loving the power and throttle response... I think. The thing is, I feel like I'm either decelerating or accelerating. Even at 1500 RPM, any movement of the throttle is a bit of a jolt - forward or backward. Does that make sense?

My other vehicle is 100 Series Land Cruiser (auto of course). It's been 5 years since I've driven a CJ. Have I just gotten spoiled by insulated, muted, viscous-coupled drive trains?

Unread 09-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

have you tried adjusting/rebuilding the linkage of the throttle to allow more pedal movement in before/while the throttle moves?
Other than that, it sounds like you have just gotten too used to the feel of an auto, and are experiencing a 'new' feel of the manual transmission to me.
Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Sounds like you need less horsepower! That gearing should be just fine, and the three speed too should be ok with its long gears... that's a manual for ya! Maybe once the clutch wears in a little it will settle down and offer some slippage
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.