i took the dash off now there is a prob - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > i took the dash off now there is a prob

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 09-17-2002, 11:25 AM   #1
onesojourner

i took the dash off now there is a prob

i took the dash off my cj7 and now its not starting. are there any grounds connected to the dash that could make it not run? it turns over but it wont start. could there be any thing in the steering wheel that would make it not run?

onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2002, 03:01 PM   #2
cjryder

If taking the dash off is all you did, then my guess would be ignition switch. I could be wrong but if it turns over nothing else inside the vehicle should prevent it from running. Could be your hot to the momentary is good but you accidently disconnected the 'run' wire at the switch. Just for grins, see if you didn't fry a fuse by inadvertently shorting a hot while removing the dash.
ps, I'm just guessing, same as your buds do while they watch you do the work. I'm not drinking your beer though.
cjryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 04:01 AM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Did you remove any wiring when you took off the dash?
Did you mark all of the wires when you took them off, if you did?
Did you isolate the dash in any way when you reinstalled it, or have you reinstalled it?

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 07:43 AM   #4
Brock

Put the dash back on.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 03:02 PM   #5
onesojourner

y

i dont think i disconnected anything vital. there where 2 wires that were grounded on the dash i regrounded those and still nothing. i left all the gauges wired up they are just sitting on the floor now. the only wires i cut were on the tach and i capped those off. i checked the fuses.

Last edited by onesojourner; 09-20-2002 at 03:05 PM..
Unread 09-20-2002, 05:13 PM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

onesojourner,
As Brock said reinstall the dash as it was and see if that fixes the problem. If it does then there is something you disconnected that requires the dash as the ground.

One last thought, try grounding the ignition switch.

Good Luck, there is nothing worst than chasing bad grounds.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2002, 07:05 PM   #7
onesojourner

how/where do i ground the ignition switch at?
Unread 09-20-2002, 08:28 PM   #8
hollywood

Using a test light, check for power at the blue wire going into the ignition module at the two wire plug - while you're cranking the motor. If you don't have power, it's a bad connection at the steering column, or a bad ignition switch. If you do have power, the problem is unrelated to the dash.

P.S. The other wire (red) in the two wire plug should be hot with the key in the "run" possition.

Hope this helps -
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2002, 05:43 PM   #9
onesojourner

ok i tested some wires and im not getting any spark. i tested all the wires coming out of the steering column while it was cranking and nothing. i tested the blue wire from the ignition module ( thats the box on the firewall right under where the fuse box wires come out right) and when its cranks it is live.
Unread 09-22-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
hollywood

If the blue wire to the ignition module is hot when cranking, and you still don't have any spark at the plugs - the problem is either the module itself, the coil, or the distributer.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2002, 10:45 PM   #11
onesojourner

there is power to the coil (but the light lights up dim) but not through the coil so thats what i think the problem is. sound right to you? by the way i really appreciat all your help.
Unread 09-23-2002, 02:15 PM   #12
Infedel

Similar Issue

Myself and a guy in Lousianna had either this same issue or one very similar on 2 seperate '84 CJ-7s. Mine started after I put in my new motor and replaced the stock dash with a stainless steel one. The other guys started when he tried to fix some burnt out lights behind the dash. There were a few different scenarios we chased around. If you're getting switched 12V (off the ignition), then the ignition switch shouldn't be the problem. My particular problem was fixed by performing the Nutter Bypass and eliminating the stock ignition module. I also cut out the computer in the process as well. Either I toasted the computer or stock ignition module (probably the ignition module). Not needing either, I've left the Nutter Bypass in place and the ignition is taken care of by my MSD-6.

Best of Luck. Let us know if you figure it out.
Infedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2002, 02:37 PM   #13
CoryB

Re: y

Quote:
Originally posted by onesojourner
i dont think i disconnected anything vital. there where 2 wires that were grounded on the dash i regrounded those and still nothing. i left all the gauges wired up they are just sitting on the floor now. the only wires i cut were on the tach and i capped those off. i checked the fuses.
BINGO! Tach wiring will do it. I don't have a manual handy, but I remember some reference that the tach wiring has to do with the coil wiring.

As an experiment, reconnect the wires to the tach and see what happens.
CoryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2002, 02:48 PM   #14
CSP

Yes the tach wire is the culprit if it's a factory tach. They are not wired like aftermarket tachs (in parallel) to just provide info on RPM. They are wired in series as part of the actual ignition. If the tach wire is cut the ignition circuit can't be completed. You might as well have cut the wire going from the ignition switch on the column. You would have been doing the same thing in theory.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2002, 07:38 PM   #15
onesojourner

AHHH yes i will reconnect the tach first thing tomorrow and let you know whats going on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.