I think I goofed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I think I goofed

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-23-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
aviator

I think I goofed

In the quest for a beter running Jeep. I purchased a motorcraft 2100 off E-bay. The carb seems to be in good shape, but I can't seem to get the Jeep to run for any period of time.

When it does run, it screams at about 3500 RPM. Seems like it would continue to run if I let it sit at that RPM, but I can't get it down to an idle before it dies out.

THEN, when I go to re-start it, it's like it has no fuel. It has to be reprimed manually before it will fire back up.

Any ideas? I'm not really a carb guy.

Unread 10-23-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Sounds like a manifold leak. First, check to see if you have the proper base gasket. Motorcraft has two different carb bases.If you use the smaller gasket on the large base, it will create a huge manifold leak around the back of the carb. Make sure that the gasket fits the manifold as well. Next, make sure that there arn't any open vacuum ports. Lastly,insure that you didn't incorrectly install or knock any other vacuum lines off when replaced the carb.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2003, 12:18 AM   #3
Qman

have you checked or messed with your timing at all could be that try turning it while you have it running other than that sounds like maybe you have a few hoses wrong check them again. Maybe someone else has some better ideas but i would try that first...
Qman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.