I think i blew my tranny! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I think i blew my tranny!

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-22-2002, 11:27 AM   #1
Bulletproofcj7

I think i blew my tranny!

You guys were right, the t-5 is junk! I was on pavement just driving down the road nice and easy when all of the sudden with out warning i heard this loud CLANG! It kept making a racket till i limped off the road and stopped. I hoped maybe only one gear had broken and that i'd be able to limp home, no such luck. I put the x-fer in neutral and tried each gear but they all sounded broke untill finally the tranny seized up and stalled the motor.

Any recomendations on a "BULLETPROOF" tranny that will fit between a 304 and a 300?
Ive heard that the t-18/A is a good strong tranny but that it will not bolt up to a d-300, is this true? are there adapters for this conversion?
Or is the world class rebuild kit a good option?

Any help would be great! Gotta get this fixed quick, im stuck driving my TJ till my CJ is cured!
Jason

1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2002, 11:34 AM   #2
CSP

Novak and Advance Adapters both make adapters to bolt the T18 to the Dana 300. The T176 is another good alternative and bolts directly to the 300. Of course with either you're going to lose your overdrive.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2002, 11:45 AM   #3
CJ7Danny

He he... I've shelled two of those damn T5's. After the second time, yanked the motor and tranny, swapped in a 327 and a turbo 350!

Since you have the 304, I'd swap in the T176. I think the T18 is a 3 speed, which is a strong tranny, but I like having 4 spd vs. 3 spd. Plus, the T176 is easy to rebuild if ever necessary.

My 2 cents.
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2002, 11:02 PM   #4
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ7Danny
Since you have the 304, I'd swap in the T176. I think the T18 is a 3 speed, which is a strong tranny, but I like having 4 spd vs. 3 spd. Plus, the T176 is easy to rebuild if ever necessary.
The T18 is a four speed. If it's the granny low version for all intents and purposes it is a three speed though. I always start out from a stop in second gear when driven on the road. First gear is too low for street driving and the ratio of second gear is similar to most first gears. The ratio of fourth gear in both the T18 and T176 is the same, 1:1.

The T18 is no more difficult to rebuild than any other tranny.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2002, 12:01 PM   #5
Bulletproofcj7

What about the world class rebuild kit for the t-5? any good ?
I would really like to keep a 5 speed in there to retain my on and offroad-ability, and if this works it saves me all of the trouble of adapters and drive line lengthsetc..
Ive done some research and the NV4500 sounds perfect! Heavy duty, low 1st gear and 27% overdrive for the highway. new is expensive as hell though! JB conversions even machines the out put flange in order to clock the dana 300!(COOL)and provides the bell housing adapter.
Ill check junk yards for a wrecked dodge truck w/a 5 speed,however i dont think ill have much luck around here.
That t-18 sounds like it may be the cheaper route if i can find one, It needs an adapter to the d-300 though right? Do you know if there is any change in driveshaft length over the t-5?
This sucks! but the tranny and transfer are the ONLY components on the jeep that i have not rebuilt yet, guess its time!
Thanks for your help guys!
-Jason
1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.