Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I smell like exhaust...

8K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  dmjonez 
#1 ·
Well maybe not all the time, but after I drive my CJ. It has very short pipes that exhaust under the doors. Or holes for the doors, as I don't have any..

Anyway, my wife and daughter complain of the exhaust smell anytime I go for a long drive. I'm thinking of getting new pipes which vent under the rear bumper.

Think that would help, or is "eau de unleaded" just a normal side-effect? Or do I need doors?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
You need to get the exhaust pipes out the back corners just behind the rear wheels or that smell and dangerous CO2 is gonna kill you and your family. It is the ideal spot to route exhaust and it's what the factory does also. Also, it's a good idea to angle cut the very end of the tailpipe tip reduce vortex and pulsing rings of exhaust

#12 ·
The dangerous thing is CO (Carbon Monoxide) although CO2 would be dangerous, but unlikely in a well ventilated cabin.

Cheap fix, try angling the exhaust tips 90 degrees and point them to the ground. This may fix your problem.

#6 ·
I have the same issue with fumes on my 79 CJ7. My exhaust comes straight out the back and the fumes just roll up and in without any top on, which is the way I like to drive it. I have been considering turning it behind the rear tire and based on what I just read I think its a done deal. After 30 minutes driving around I feel pretty light headed. The old Carter carb is not helping with the fumes either, new carb is the next project. I have seen some that route the pipe through the leaf spring, not sure I like that. In regards to the angle cut, slight angle to the rear?

#10 ·
Mine are the same way on my 7, true duals off the 304 to almost exactly where you have them. Neither with the hard top/full doors or bikini/doorless like your setup, do I ever smell exhaust. You can probably play with how much it sticks out the side and be fire rather than running it out the back.

#11 ·
I had the same issue.
1. Check for exhaust leaks when its cold by holding your hand around each joint.
2. make sure tailpipe dumps behind rear wheel.

I replaced my muffler, clamped it up, drove to a local muffler shop and for 20 bucks he welded it up for me. No more gas smell no more UPS truck sound. :) Using a cheap bolt on tailpipe extender I tried a couple different angles to see if it made it any better for me. Lower to the ground etc. and what I found was the exhaust leak at the muffler made the biggest difference. As long as the exhaust is dumping out behind the rear tire and you don't get stuck behind a diesel dump truck you should be much better off! :)

#13 ·
Jeep put them in the right place, coming out on a 45 between the frame and spring at the back with a chopped tip angled down/out. I just put an OEM system on mine. This makes for the best smell.

#14 ·
I just got the CJ back from the shop with new pipes. I didn't have them angle cut, as the guy and I discussed the look, and he said he'd trim them later if I weren't happy. He imitated the stock pipe placement, and NO SMELL! :2thumbsup:
I've driven around for about 5-10 miles with no smell or fumes. One of the mufflers was popped as well, probably from an earlier backfire. The new setup was worth the trouble and not much cash...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.