I NEED HELP! (Please?!) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I NEED HELP! (Please?!)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 05-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #46
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

I would take the bleeder off completely and pump the pedal until fluid starts coming out, then put the bleeder on and start over. I have had to take both rear bleeders off to get it started. Just don't let the mc run dry!

Unread 05-06-2011, 09:06 AM   #47
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

A point worth mentioning that I didn't know for a long time is that when replacing master cylinders you need to prime them (remove air bubbles), otherwise it will take forever to bleed.
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #48
RjTack
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese View Post
A point worth mentioning that I didn't know for a long time is that when replacing master cylinders you need to prime them (remove air bubbles), otherwise it will take forever to bleed.
That's called bench bleeding. You need to use the plastic hoses/fittings that come with the new master. The idea is to hook hoses to both fittings, then put the open end of the hoses in the resivior. Push the valve, carefully, until all bubbles are gone. You can do this while the MS is on the jeep, but you need a helper to push the brake pedal for you.
Another idea is that your PV is off center. There is a small rubber cap on on end of the PV. The small pin should move out as you apply brake pressure. If it doesn't, it may need to be recentered. There is a tool to hold it out while bleeding to allow fluid to move through the valve to the rear circuit. Once the system is full, the vavle will stay centered until there is a fault in one of the circuits, front, or rear.
Try bleeding the front to see if you can push fluid into that circuit. If not, the master probably needs to be bench bled.
RjTack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #49
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

My husband & I have bench bled the mc twice (just to be sure)... Tomorrow I will get him out in the garage to help me again! I ordered a new PV, but it hasn't arrived yet. Anyway, I'll post an update tomorrow evening to let all of you know how everything goes! (maybe I won't need the new PV!?) Keeping my fingers crossed....

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
CrescentMoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #50
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese
Wendy,
I have a buddy that sounds alot like you. When he does, I tell him he is doing the "Chicken Little". He needs to step back, take a deep breath and think it through. Yea, what's chicken little, I'm glad you asked.

Chicken Little, is a fable in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase The sky is falling! features promininently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.

From me tackling this project with what appears as little help from your lessor half. Girl you rock! Just remember the CJ are easy to diagnose compared to later models. When you start getting into computers and fuel injection it take a computer to tell you what wrong

I hope I have succeeded in my attempt to make you smile and see the humor in this situation. Now get after it and I expect a full report next week outlining the successful undertaking and test drive this weekend. Good luck!
Bob (could be the one from the other thread, ;-0)
LMAO- are you referring to 'the' Bob... From the Ask a Woman thread?!
I know who Chicken Little is... I have a 2 yo & a 3 yo!! Anyway, I'll let you know how everything turns out! (& yes, you succeeded)

Unread 05-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #51
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

SO FRUSTRATED!!!!
my brakes are still not working!! I replaced the lines along the rear axle & the center hose, the shoes are new and I put new spring kits on both rears. On the front, we put a SSBC 12" disc conversion kit on. It came with new steel braided lines, a new MC (bench bled twice), etc. A few weeks ago we finally got to start bleeding the brakes but, ran into a problem... No fluid to the rear. I ordered a new proportioning valve (r&r'd), bench bled the mc the second time, and STILL no luck. Occasionally, we would get a little fluid but nothing steady. Now, my front wheels are locked! AGH!
I'm clueless & it seems like nothing is helping!

Unread 05-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #52
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Oh! By the way... I did drop the tank & I checked everything. My guess is it WAS a pinched line! After I put the tank back up & hooked everything up- it cranked on the first try! It runs so much better than it did before the carb rebuild, new tank, etc!

Now, if only I had brakes.... & I can't even drive it to PAY someone else to fix it!

Unread 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #53
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Any ideas?? What opinions do any of you have on ditching the PV & going with an adjustable valve?

Unread 05-31-2011, 09:03 AM   #54
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Where is the last place you had good fluid volumn to the rear brakes? Starting at the MC.
If your front brakes are locked, does loosening the front brake line at the PV release the pressure and the brakes?
Your application should not require an adjustible PV, but maybe the PV you installed is defective.
Unread 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #55
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese
Where is the last place you had good fluid volumn to the rear brakes? Starting at the MC.
If your front brakes are locked, does loosening the front brake line at the PV release the pressure and the brakes?
Your application should not require an adjustible PV, but maybe the PV you installed is defective.
I believe that the PV is defective... There was fluid spraying from the poppet or pin thing. (not good...) Of course, Morris 4x4 is not returning my calls & hasn't answered. So, today I called Quadratec. They are refunding me $200 & sending me a new MC. I also went on 4wd.com & ordered a SSBC adjustable PV. I really hope that this fixes my problem!

Unread 05-31-2011, 08:39 PM   #56
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Oh, & yes we had good fluid on the front side of the PV. I haven't disconnected the PV to see if it would loosen the front wheels... And, I have drill this weekend so I may not get much time to play. :-/

Unread 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #57
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

No time to work on Jeep... Worked ALL DAY! It's time for a beer...

image-1922969241.jpg   image-11220771.jpg  
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #58
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Today my new speed bleeders, adjustable proportioning valve, & master cylinder arrived! I'm excited! Now, to find the time to get everything replaced...

Unread 06-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #59
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Had to rotate my monitor 90 degrees clockwise, but you'ld look good driving any/my Jeep;-)
Unread 06-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #60
alljagged24
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoon View Post
This is the method that I've been using. But the problem is, I'm not getting any fluid to the rear brakes. I appreciate your response though! Keep the ideas coming!

Wendy

I think u are on the right track with the brakes, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, there is a button or a pin on the proportioning valve. And I can't remember whether u push it in or pull it out but it helps bleed the system of air when u are having bleeding trouble , best of. Luck!
alljagged24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.