I NEED HELP! (Please?!) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I NEED HELP! (Please?!)

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #31
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

I did find it! I replaced the PCV valve, the oil cap, & the hose to the air cleaner. Of course, I have the carb off right now trying to rebuild it, so the new hose is just hanging out waiting for everything to be put back together. Thanks, for the info, though!!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

CrescentMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #32
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Well, I got the brakes installed, but now I'm having problems bleeding them. I got a little old fluid from the right rear, but then nothing. It seems like nothing is reaching the rear brakes... The fluid level in MC didn't change at all.
Any ideas? The pedal has a lot of pressure behind it...

Unread 04-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #33
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Replace your rubber lines. Crack the fitting just before the rubber line and see if you have fluid, I bet yes. Then crack the fitting after and I bet no. Replace line and good to go. Since the back one is gone replace the fronts also and let try to get ahead of this.
bkeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #34
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

The posts about compression was a result of blowing off your oil cap. That means you are building up pressure in the crank case, usually blow by (compression past the rings and into crankcase, some is normal). Blowing the oil cap is prevented by the PVC valve (Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve). Make certain you have vacuum to the pvc valve. I've seen crude gum up the hose and block the vacuum and it blew oil out of my oil cap, no PVC back then, just a vented oil cap.
Unread 04-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #35
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Thanks! I'll try replacing those lines this weekend! I hope some of the other issues will be solved with the new PCV valve (& hose), new oil cap (& hose), rebuilt carb., new spacer block, new activated carbon & filter for the vapor canister, etc.
I also have the 1 piece rear axle conversion... Is that something that I should be in a hurry to do? I've read mixed opinions on that..
Right after I get this thing running again, I plan to take her straight to my uncle's shop, to weld in the front roll cage. And, then I would really like to DRIVE her!!!

Unread 04-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #36
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese
Replace your rubber lines. Crack the fitting just before the rubber line and see if you have fluid, I bet yes. Then crack the fitting after and I bet no. Replace line and good to go. Since the back one is gone replace the fronts also and let try to get ahead of this.
Oh! When you say replace the fronts also, do you mean the lines going to the the calipers? If so, I already replaced those with the lines that came in the SSBC 12" conversion kit.

Unread 05-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #37
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Did it fix the problem? Sounds like you aready replaced the fronts , so no to the fronts!

As to the rear axle replacement, no hurry unless you have heard a load crack coming from the rear. That would be the hub spinning on the axle. When you hear that drive easy so not to strip the axle any more until replacement. My Jeep stripped the axle at 50k miles while the other had no problem at 125k, so it just depends. When you hear it you'll know it.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #38
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

I replaced the center rear brake hose & bled the master cylinder again.... Still no fluid to the rear brakes. Should I replace the proportioning valve?? When I took off the old center hose, nothing came out at all...
My other problem- I'm not getting fuel from the tank. I disconnected the fuel line to the pump, put a hose on there & ran it into a mason jar full of gas... The motor runs & the carb rebuild was a success! But, for some reason I'm not getting anything from the tank.
A guy at work told me to add an electric fuel pump, back near the tank... Does that sound right? I'm going to drop the tank again this weekend to make sure that I connected everything right (& that none of the hoses are pinched). This is so frustrating!

Unread 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #39
Hurricane4

A second fuel pump near the tank should not be needed.

You are on the right track looking for a pinched line when the tank was installed.

Keep at it! I followed this thread and think you are doing great!

Good luck with your 5!
Unread 05-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #40
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

OK CM,

You need to start eliminatings possibilities.
1st, you know the fuel pump is fine - so no electric fuel pump needed, just more problems and you don't need that
2nd, try the mason jar trick back at the tank - if it works then the problem is the tank, if not then the problem is the fuel line between the fuel pump and the tank, inspect and replace (I only use Stainless Steel), OEM stuff from Advance Auto I've had fail in less than 2 years and nothing beats the sensation of stepping on the breaks hard and having them go to the floor
3rd, lets do the same thing with the brake line - remove (maybe just loosen)the line from the proportioning valve that goes to the rear brakes, do you have fluid? YES rear brake lines inspect and replace (again SS), no then PV forward, remove the rear line at the masdter cylinder, Fluid Yes tighten and loosen line at PV, fluid yes replace PV, if NO fluid at master cylinder then replace master cylinder.

DO you get the idea? Eliminate and zero in on the problem. Don't get flustered. You're a mechanic. When you used the mason jar you eliminated the fuel pump to the carb, so the problem is the line to the tank or the tank. What did you do when you dropped the tank, could the lines be hooked up incorrectly? Are there 3 lines? I don't remember. The pickup goes to the bottom of the tank, does it. If you reversed the return and the pickup, then you would be sucking air. Nothing like the taste of gas in the morning, but you could blow on the fuel line and should hear bubble in the tank, if not then you probably reversed the two.

You are doing great, just don't listen to the guys at work, they know less then you do. I work with networks and when we have a problem I cut it in half and which side is it on, now cut it in half again and which side is it on, eventually the problem gets small enough the human brain can comprehend. I hope this helps. You are so close to driving it.

My guesses it's your proportioning valve and you reversed the fuel lines, just a guess!

Bob
Unread 05-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #41
mudpuppy_n_jeep
1980 CJ7 

brakes can be tricky sometimes

you can also try
cracking the bleeder loose
attach a rubber hose to the end
and put other end into a container of brake fluid
as you pump it will push air out
pedel goes up it will suck fluid out of container
you can use a mason jar on the drivers side and watch it as you pump
when bubbles are gone the air is out
tighten bleeder and take hose off
youngest girl 79 cj5
mudpuppy_n_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #42
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ7
A second fuel pump near the tank should not be needed.

You are on the right track looking for a pinched line when the tank was installed.

Keep at it! I followed this thread and think you are doing great!

Good luck with your 5!
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

Unread 05-05-2011, 06:47 AM   #43
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeese
OK CM,

You need to start eliminatings possibilities.
1st, you know the fuel pump is fine - so no electric fuel pump needed, just more problems and you don't need that
2nd, try the mason jar trick back at the tank - if it works then the problem is the tank, if not then the problem is the fuel line between the fuel pump and the tank, inspect and replace (I only use Stainless Steel), OEM stuff from Advance Auto I've had fail in less than 2 years and nothing beats the sensation of stepping on the breaks hard and having them go to the floor
3rd, lets do the same thing with the brake line - remove (maybe just loosen)the line from the proportioning valve that goes to the rear brakes, do you have fluid? YES rear brake lines inspect and replace (again SS), no then PV forward, remove the rear line at the masdter cylinder, Fluid Yes tighten and loosen line at PV, fluid yes replace PV, if NO fluid at master cylinder then replace master cylinder.

DO you get the idea? Eliminate and zero in on the problem. Don't get flustered. You're a mechanic. When you used the mason jar you eliminated the fuel pump to the carb, so the problem is the line to the tank or the tank. What did you do when you dropped the tank, could the lines be hooked up incorrectly? Are there 3 lines? I don't remember. The pickup goes to the bottom of the tank, does it. If you reversed the return and the pickup, then you would be sucking air. Nothing like the taste of gas in the morning, but you could blow on the fuel line and should hear bubble in the tank, if not then you probably reversed the two.

You are doing great, just don't listen to the guys at work, they know less then you do. I work with networks and when we have a problem I cut it in half and which side is it on, now cut it in half again and which side is it on, eventually the problem gets small enough the human brain can comprehend. I hope this helps. You are so close to driving it.

My guesses it's your proportioning valve and you reversed the fuel lines, just a guess!

Bob
Bob,
You are exactly right! Sometimes I get frustrated & quit thinking clearly! I will try to pin point the problem(s) this weekend! Process of elimination... Thanks for the encouragement!!! (I guess I needed that!)
Wendy

Unread 05-05-2011, 06:50 AM   #44
CrescentMoon
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuppy_n_jeep
brakes can be tricky sometimes

you can also try
cracking the bleeder loose
attach a rubber hose to the end
and put other end into a container of brake fluid
as you pump it will push air out
pedel goes up it will suck fluid out of container
you can use a mason jar on the drivers side and watch it as you pump
when bubbles are gone the air is out
tighten bleeder and take hose off
This is the method that I've been using. But the problem is, I'm not getting any fluid to the rear brakes. I appreciate your response though! Keep the ideas coming!

Wendy

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:48 AM   #45
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Wendy,
I have a buddy that sounds alot like you. When he does, I tell him he is doing the "Chicken Little". He needs to step back, take a deep breath and think it through. Yea, what's chicken little, I'm glad you asked.

Chicken Little, is a fable in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end. The phrase The sky is falling! features promininently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.

From me tackling this project with what appears as little help from your lessor half. Girl you rock! Just remember the CJ are easy to diagnose compared to later models. When you start getting into computers and fuel injection it take a computer to tell you what wrong

I hope I have succeeded in my attempt to make you smile and see the humor in this situation. Now get after it and I expect a full report next week outlining the successful undertaking and test drive this weekend. Good luck!
Bob (could be the one from the other thread, ;-0)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.