JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   I NEED HELP! (Please?!) (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-need-help-please-1186047/)

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 08:10 AM

I NEED HELP! (Please?!)

My 78 CJ5 (V8 304) is having serious issues! I ordered a new gas tank, sending unit, etc this past weekend & I hope that will fix most of the problems, but I need info/ advice from y'all....
Sat. Morning, I replaced the ignition module, starter solenoid(sp?), fuel pump, & fuel filter. It wouldn't crank at all until I did that... After, replacing those parts it ran ok. Yesterday, I drove it to work (proud that I got it running) but, on the back to work after getting lunch, it shut off on me in the middle of a busy 4 lane highway! We pushed it out of the road & took a look. (one of the guys from work was with me- thankfully!) I then paid a homeless guy to help us push it to a gas station! The carburetor was dry so I put a little gas in the top, to see it would crank & it did. Of course, it shut off quickly. So, I filled the tank with gas (while the gas pump was still on) & then decided to walk to Advanced Auto Parts. I bought a wrench set, (another) fuel pump, fuel filter, blue rtv, rags, & 2 Gatorades! We walked back and R^2 everything! The Jeep cranked on the 1st try! So, we jumped in & hauled butt back to work! Driving home (35 miles), it started trying to die on me again! My oil pressure kept dropping and the engine was sputtering... My max speed (pedal on the floor) varied between 35-45mph. Everytime I had to stop, it died. I finally coasted it into my garage! The oil cap popped off, along the way.
Even when it was running ok, it still didn't feel like it was running at full power. Like maybe, not all cylinders are hitting?
I ordered the plastic tank kit (21 gallon w/ skid plate extension bolts) & I ordered the small Holley carb. Filter. (stone, I believe)
Anyway, I have no idea what else to do, along with the tank replacement... PLEASE, HELP!?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

texasimport 03-23-2011 08:19 AM

Are you using a fuel filter with a return line? Do you still have your charcoal canister installed?

Next time this happens pop the fuel cap and see if you have developed a nice vacuum. Starved for fuel after a few miles once the vacuum gets high enough in your tank from not allowing any air back in?

bds5 03-23-2011 08:22 AM

Have you done a Compression test?

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 08:27 AM

Charcoal canister? I'm not sure what you're talking about... ? And, yes the return line is (& has been) connected to the filter. The Jeep sat in an Old man's garage for a few years before I bought it, so I know there's a lot of rust in the tank. When I changed the fuel filter yesterday, I dumped it to see what came out & the fuel was reddish brown. (and, pieces of rust & what looked like dirt came out)

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 08:32 AM

Compression Test? No, I don't know what that is or how to do it...
Is that something that I should do after replacing the tank?
(FYI guys- I'm a chick with very little mechanical knowledge! I can turn a wrench!! But, I have to look up the name of the part I'm changing, etc! I'm an F16 crew chief- not a vehicle mechanic.... Sorry)

bds5 03-23-2011 08:56 AM

Compression test on the Cylinder, Pull all Spark Plugs and with a compression tester check each one. If it is good you should be around 140 or so with no more than 15 different between Cylinders. Auto Zone should let you borrow one. I'm just saying since you mentioned the oil cap blowing off. You might check your PCV Valve also.

texasimport 03-23-2011 09:04 AM

Your charcoal canister sits between the left front tire and your firewall. Just a bit bigger then a quart of oil, black plastic. It is where your fuel tank vent line would be attached if you still have it. Not uncommon for this to have gone missing and that vent line now plugged. You should have three lines from your tank. One to the fuel pump, one from the return on your filter and the other is the vent line that would go to the canister. Rumor is that if that vent line has been capped off and you are using the proper fuel cap then you could end up with the motor staving for fuel after a short drive.

By the way. My 78 304 vent line is still capped and I have NOT had the issue. I do plan however to replace the canister soon, ~$20. It doesn't effect performance and may keep your garage from smelling like gas.

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 09:47 AM

OH! I know exactly what you're talking about! I was wondering what that was!! I haven't replaced that... I will look for one today! I'm not sure about the vent line being capped, though. I'll have to check that when I get home... I think it's still connected? Hmmm...

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 09:53 AM

What is the PCV valve & where would it be located? What is it's purpose?

bds5 03-23-2011 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It should be at the back of the Manifold a rubber hose. Provides "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" should connect at the carburator. Not sure on Yours, but check it for crud buildup through the hose stopping the ventilation.

scrappycj5 03-23-2011 10:38 AM

If you are saying that you have ordered the new gas tank but not installed yet, I would say that you are sucking up garbage from the old tank and its clogging your fuel filter/fuel pump/ and carb.

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 09:10 PM

Ok, I ordered a new PCV (valve) just in case I need it, but I can't find the hoses. I also ordered a new filter for the vapor canister. Oh, & a new oil filler cap. Do I need to reconnect the hose from the oil filler cap to the Air Cleaner (or big round thing on top of the carburetor:))? I wasn't sure exactly what carburetor I have so I checked that tonight, too. It's a Holley 64-5305, I believe. Will I need to go a head and buy a re-build kit for that? It's going to be about 2 weeks before I can do anything else to the Jeep, but I'd like to have all of the parts & tools on hand. I have to go to DC next for some meets...:-/

And, yes, I ordered the tank & everything to go with it... But it hasn't arrived yet.
I can't wait to get this thing running right!!
I hope that all the rust/ trash hasn't done too much damage!! The motor is super dirty and there seems to be oil in various places!
To top it off I think the seals are bad in my transfer case..., Yay.

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 09:13 PM

Oh! One more thing- my husband keeps threatening to buy an OBR (he's wanted one for quite awhile), so I promised him- "if you do, I getting headers, exhaust, & Paint!". This should be interesting! :)

CrescentMoon 03-23-2011 09:37 PM

14 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of everything! Can you see anything else wrong? How do I figure out what rear axle I have?

sdrewel 03-23-2011 10:05 PM

If you look in the 5th picture you posted there is a hose with a red hose clamp, that goes to the PCV valve inthe intake manifold.

As for the axle, you have a AMC 20. Dead giveaway by the round cover. You can go here http://www.jeeptech.com/axle/amc20.html

and figure out what ratio the gears are. That website gives you all the information you need to figure it out.

The time now is 07:51 AM.