I love my "The Club" - Anti Theft Device - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I love my "The Club" - Anti Theft Device

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM   #31
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeePrather View Post
Transfer case in neutral, not transmission
If the transfer case is in neutral, "Park" on the transmission is nullified.

Nobody should ever park any car with just the brake holding it....it's called the Emergency brake for a reason. Manuals should always be in First or Reverse with the brake on, and automatics obviously should be in park.

Leaving the transfer case in neutral is effectively the same as leaving the transmission in neutral....in that the vehicle will still roll.

Unread 07-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Nobody should ever park any car with just the brake holding it....it's called the Emergency brake for a reason.
I fully agree. I'm always amazed at the amount of people I see that just slip her into neutral and push or pull on the ebrake.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #33
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck633 View Post
I don't smoke anymore, so I figured the ol' ground through the cigarette lighter was my best option. Just pull the lighter out far enough to break contact, It will drive anybody crazy!! Let them try and try to start it, then once they are furious, simply push ciggy lighter in, make connection for the ground and presto!!
Not a contact I would trust on a bad road etc.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:22 PM   #34
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Put a twin stick shifter in for the transfer case. Then leave one axle in 4low and the other in 4high. Make the shifter levers so they can easily be taken off and when someone tries to drive away they'll keep killing the engine. Down side is that they could tear the something up but at least the Jeep stays.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #35
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Put a twin stick shifter in for the transfer case. Then leave one axle in 4low and the other in 4high. Make the shifter levers so they can easily be taken off and when someone tries to drive away they'll keep killing the engine. Down side is that they could tear the something up but at least the Jeep stays.

LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #36
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe6Pack74
Theft is something I have been worrying about. Has anyone used a quick release steering wheel disconnect? I would think a thief would pass up a vehicle without a steering wheel.
As mentioned, I have one. It moves the steering wheel about 3" closer to the driver so if you're more, ummmmm.........robust, it may make it a tighter squeeze to get behind the wheel.

But I love it.... Especially since my steering lock is no longer functional. It's some good piece of mind knowing it can't be driven or even rolled out of the driveway easily. If somebody wants it they'll have to tow it away.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #37
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Years ago, back in the '80's I made a rectangular collar clamp out of 1/4" thick stainless steel. It hinged open and closed, and fit snugly around the brake and clutch pedal arms. I had a padlock that I challenged any friend of mine who could pick locks to pick it. No one could.

It also had a stainless post welded to it, coming off of the bottom of the collar that reached down and hit the floor.

This way, the pedals were locked together, and couldn't be pushed down, at all. Stainless takes a while to cut through with a saw, and cannot be cut with a torch.

It only took a few seconds to put it on, or to take it off.

Not a perfect solution, but it'll definitely slow down a thief, who'll hopefully move on.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #38
jtstj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

When I purchased my CJ, the PO had a large padlock where he would lock the clutch and break together. Pretty effective IMO, I guess the quality of the lock would make a difference too.
jtstj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #39
Joe6Pack74
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
As mentioned, I have one. It moves the steering wheel about 3" closer to the driver so if you're more, ummmmm.........robust, it may make it a tighter squeeze to get behind the wheel.

But I love it.... Especially since my steering lock is no longer functional. It's some good piece of mind knowing it can't be driven or even rolled out of the driveway easily. If somebody wants it they'll have to tow it away.
Thanks don't know how I missed the earlier post. Always wanted one when I was doing the circle track racing. But it was not allowed in the "bomber" class or "enduro" races.

Joe6Pack74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
anti-theift , cj , cj7 , stolen , the club

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.