I love my "The Club" - Anti Theft Device - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I love my "The Club" - Anti Theft Device

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 07-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

I love my "The Club" - Anti Theft Device

I drove up and caught a kid in my garage yesterday and after a brief chase by me and a call to the cops they got him. At first I thought he was just a young punk kid trespassing trying to steal what ever was available, but, today when I went to take a drive in my jeep I found my club key wouldn't fit into the key slot, when I checked my tool box which he had be going through I found a screw driver with the head broken off.
Yep, a common car thief he was. If you don't have one get one, they are well worth the $40.00 dollars.
BTW.. The only way this one came off is with my grinder and cut off blade this morning. Thanks to the Phoenix P.D. for a quick catch and arrest.

h116.jpg

81azcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

Please be VERY careful about "young punk kids".... many of them are quite lethal, and completely lacking of ANY ethics. They will kill you and not regret it at all. Believe me, I work with many of these offenders every day, and you have to treat them as carefully as the adult felons. Do not make the mistake of thinking "they're just a kid like my own kids."

Luis
Unread 07-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Good thing he didn't find the grinder and cutoff wheel before you showed up.
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper44mag View Post
Please be VERY careful about "young punk kids".... many of them are quite lethal, and completely lacking of ANY ethics. They will kill you and not regret it at all. Believe me, I work with many of these offenders every day, and you have to treat them as carefully as the adult felons. Do not make the mistake of thinking "they're just a kid like my own kids."

Luis
Great advice, thats what one of the cops told me also.. Thanks
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Better yet, is a hidden 'kill' switch.
Bet, you'll keep your garage closed now......
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Better yet, is a hidden 'kill' switch.
Bet, you'll keep your garage closed now......
LG
Lesson learned
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
Good thing he didn't find the grinder and cutoff wheel before you showed up.
Must have been his first time. A seasoned vet would have cut the wheel with a hacksaw and had that club off in under 10 seconds. Hidden kill switch and a removable steering wheel is what I installed after some punks took mine for a joy ride. At least they had the decency to drop it back off in my parking lot.......
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I've had several people, including my own friends laugh when they see my club and all of them say the same thing.... " you know all someone has to do is cut through the steering wheel and pull that thing off"
What they don't seem to understand, is that while this is true, the average car thief doesn't carry a hack saw. They are opportunist and want the quick and easy steal or the smash and grab. If the club is one more hurdle OR takes that much more time to defeat, guess what, you just kept your Jeep. Now I probably shouldn't say this, but the older GM based cars ( like our CJs) are easy to steal. I know because I've stolen a few of my friends trucks/ jeeps as jokes and given them right back .... Well maybe after watching them sweat for a few hours. But it's not like TV where you just reach under the dash without even looking and pull out two exposed wires ready to twist together...it takes a little time and I prefer picking the lock any day as it unlocks the steering wheel too. The only time I beat a club, was because I copied his key onto an extra club key I had.
And since I'm on the subject.... A lot of us run YJ half doors when topless. I prefer the ones with locks and here's why, you can remove the inner lock rod and disable the inside lock/unlock button. Use the key to lock the door from the outside and when the thief reaches in to unlock the door, it doesn't work. If he can't open it, it can't be lifted off the hinges. A non jeep owner watched me lock both my doors once and laughed as he said I was silly... " look"he said as he reach in and touched the center console " I can still steal stuff inside, there's no top". I laughed back and replied, it's not the stuff I'm protecting, it's the doors themselves... His puzzled look amused me.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Could always pull the wire between coil and distributor, or even pull the rotor itself if you want it really stealth. They'd never figure that one out.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

The removable steering wheel sounds pretty interesting. When I get my Summit CDI box on then I can install the kill switch. Any one know of a hood lock system? Any one have any experience with the Rugged Ridge hood locks?
Unread 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
I've had several people, including my own friends laugh when they see my club and all of them say the same thing.... " you know all someone has to do is cut through the steering wheel and pull that thing off"
What they don't seem to understand, is that while this is true, the average car thief doesn't carry a hack saw. They are opportunist and want the quick and easy steal or the smash and grab. If the club is one more hurdle OR takes that much more time to defeat, guess what, you just kept your Jeep. Now I probably shouldn't say this, but the older GM based cars ( like our CJs) are easy to steal. I know because I've stolen a few of my friends trucks/ jeeps as jokes and given them right back .... Well maybe after watching them sweat for a few hours. But it's not like TV where you just reach under the dash without even looking and pull out two exposed wires ready to twist together...it takes a little time and I prefer picking the lock any day as it unlocks the steering wheel too. The only time I beat a club, was because I copied his key onto an extra club key I had.
And since I'm on the subject.... A lot of us run YJ half doors when topless. I prefer the ones with locks and here's why, you can remove the inner lock rod and disable the inside lock/unlock button. Use the key to lock the door from the outside and when the thief reaches in to unlock the door, it doesn't work. If he can't open it, it can't be lifted off the hinges. A non jeep owner watched me lock both my doors once and laughed as he said I was silly... " look"he said as he reach in and touched the center console " I can still steal stuff inside, there's no top". I laughed back and replied, it's not the stuff I'm protecting, it's the doors themselves... His puzzled look amused me.
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
AZdEvilYJ
Garage Junkie

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj
Hello from the YJ side!

Wow this is genius. I'd have never thought of something so simple. I'm glad I was poking around over here after I voted for cjotm. I'm a half door owner and I never lock my doors other than the nut on the top hinge because It was pointless, but this remedy completely solves that and is totally worth the 30 minutes it would take to do. Thanks for sharing!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
SKT
1981 CJ7 

I just read the following thread on the Scrambler forum:

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...I-was-under-it!

Owner/OP was working under his Scrambler when a thug tried to steal it. He confronted the punk with a hatchet, and the thief pulled a knife on him.

The OP (rispony) posted the following pics of his crime scene in the thread too:

image-728816568.jpg

image-2656999855.jpg

image-2713536537.jpg

image-4057115635.jpg

image-2282352086.jpg

"As I've stated in other posts, I live in Manhattan, New York. My scrambler is my daily driver and I park it on the street usually right outside my house. I live right off park avenue, which is residential neighborhood that is (supposedly) super safe. So last night I couldn't sleep. At home I noticed that the silicone to seal my rock light pods finally cured so they were ready to install. Around 5am, I went out and started working underneath the truck wiring them to the bottom of the chassis on the drivers side first. At around 6am, as I'm still fully underneath the drivers side, I see two feet in tattered sneakers approach the passenger side of the jeep and pause a second. Then I hear the passenger door open and I know this isn't just a admirer of my girl. My adrenaline starts kicking in so I slowly climb out from underneath the trucks driver side and see this figure bent over under the dash with his hands up behind the speedometer cluster area. He was making a ton of noise so without him noticing, I grab a hatchet that I had stored behind the drivers seatback pocket and come around to the other side. I immediately assert in some less-than-friendly words that I was the owner of the car and that if he didn't come out with his hands up there would be consequences. He quickly jumps out and pulls out a paring knife and asks me if I was "Ready?". I immediately lift the hatchet above my head in an aggressive stance. The second he saw my weapon, he dropped his knife out of fear and immediately realized he no longer had the upper hand. I made him get on the ground and empty all of his pockets but he had no ID on anything except the largest bag of AmondJoy's I've ever seen in his backpack (the man has good taste). I flagged a dumptruck over and called the police three times over the course of the next 45 minutes but no one showed up so I released him and sent him on his way, without the knife. Finally when they arrived, they sent out a search party and apprehended him 30 minutes later.

It was a terrible terrible experience and I hope none of you have to go through such a strenuous situation. I don't condone violence in any way and always think it's better to just give up your personal belongings that risk any harm. Luckily this situation went in my favor and as a result, I suffered no injuries,my car has had no damage done, and one less car thief is out on the streets.

Here are some pictures I managed to take once I was able to go back inside my apartment and get my cellphone."

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

See this is why I think if someone wants to be the "bad guy" that when they get caught they should have to break rocks until they are old! Of course the safest way to handle this is walk/back away and let the "Long Blue Line" handle it.

On a Jeepers note I like the half-door lock trick.

77' CJ-7 84' CJ-7 83' Chevy K10
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Ha, anyone with ANY kinda automotive knowledge will make a CLUB totally useless. A steering wheel puller negates a CLUB in just a few minutes. How do I know? I have seen it in action.

And now we have a slew of battery operated tools, including grinders..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.