i just bought a T-18 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > i just bought a T-18

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-28-2002, 08:52 AM   #1
onesojourner

i just bought a T-18

its supposed to be out of a 80 jeep truck with a 360. i found a little information on http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/t18.html. here is what it says about this tranny

"All Jeep T-18s come with a 1" adapter for the Dana 20 transfer case except the T-18 used in 1980 and 1981 J-20 pickups. These trucks used the NP208 transfer case and the adapter for the NP208 is around 9" long and it uses a round bolt pattern. The output shaft of this version of the T-18 is 23 spline. The Dana 20 version of the T-18 has the big hole "Texas" bolt pattern and 6 spline output shaft."

im not sure what all this means. could some one tell me what i will have to do to get this transmission into my 79 cj7 with a 304.

onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2002, 06:05 PM   #2
CSP

It means you will need to find a different T18 with the right adapter to go to a Dana 20. That one won't work. The bolt pattern is wrong, the spline count is wrong, and it's about 8" too long. It probably has a really long input shaft also which just makes it even more difficult for a CJ swap. Keep looking at jeeptech. I believe there are pictures of each type. Compare them and know what the one you need looks like before you buy another.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2002, 11:49 PM   #3
onesojourner

i found this after doing some research http://www.offroaders.com/jeepfan/t18_swap.htm
thats the same swap right.
onesojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
CSP

That swap solves the long input shaft problem, but does nothing to solve the output problem. It still won't bolt up to your Dana 20 if you do that swap and that one alone.

You really would be time and money (not to mention frustration) ahead to find another T18 out of a '79 or older Jeep truck. There's also the option of using the Ford T18. There's an article on the Jeeptech website for that one.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 09:45 AM   #5
TG CJ7

Check out www.froadin.com. I was thinking about a similar swap a year ago. They gave me some very good information about swaping a t-18 out of a 79 into my 84. The site applies to any AMC Truck or CJ. They have a forum where you can ask questions.
Also try calling Hicks 4x4, Im sorry I dont know the number or anyother info about them. I just know they offer a kit that includes everything you need to swap an AMC truck t18 into your CJ.
If you dont mind me asking, how much did you pay for the transmission you bought. I'd like to find out how much the one that is im my truck is worth.
Hope I helped, good luck.

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.