I just bought a CJ-5 (I think) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I just bought a CJ-5 (I think)

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #1
Tyork_tex

I just bought a CJ-5 (I think)

Hi, I have a 89' jeep cherokee and I have posted in that forum several times, but today I purchased for $1000.00 what I think is a CJ-5 and drove it with no windshield, no top, no doors, a sticking throttle pedal, lots of smoke and lousy brakes the 20 miles back to my dads farm and will go pick it up next weekend. (What an adventure that was )

The reason I am unsure of the model is that it has no tailgate, were CJ-5 offered without tailgates or did someone just weld mine up (there are no indications of this)? I also don't know the model year. Either way, I do know that it has a four cylinder gas (Hurricane?) engine, a three speed transmission (T-90?), a front/rear passenger side offset, twin stick, transfer case (dana 18?), and offset axles. My guess, just from the little research i have done,would say that the front was either a D25 or D27 axle and the rear a D44. but i have no way to confirm any of this.

I have a ton more questions but I'll save those for another thread. Any help identifying this Heep and any of the other parts on it would be greatly appreciated.

Tyork_tex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyork_tex
Hi, I have a 89' jeep cherokee and I have posted in that forum several times, but today I purchased for $1000.00 what I think is a CJ-5 and drove it with no windshield, no top, no doors, a sticking throttle pedal, lots of smoke and lousy brakes the 20 miles back to my dads farm and will go pick it up next weekend. (What an adventure that was )

The reason I am unsure of the model is that it has no tailgate, were CJ-5 offered without tailgates or did someone just weld mine up (there are no indications of this)? I also don't know the model year. Either way, I do know that it has a four cylinder gas (Hurricane?) engine, a three speed transmission (T-90?), a front/rear passenger side offset, twin stick, transfer case (dana 18?), and offset axles. My guess, just from the little research i have done,would say that the front was either a D25 or D27 axle and the rear a D44. but i have no way to confirm any of this.

I have a ton more questions but I'll save those for another thread. Any help identifying this Heep and any of the other parts on it would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 1978 CJ5 without a tailgate.
Curt Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
MeCasa

I run a 77 CJ7, but I also have a 78 CJ5 without a tailgate

AMC special
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
dvbum
1982 CJ5 

I have a 82 CJ5 no tailgate.

Best of luck in rebuilting your CJ5!!
dvbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
mr_frenchy

If you can get me the VIN #, could tell you what it is .

Some CJ's have tailgates, some don't, I believe it was an "option" at that time...

In the Bible some where it says that if you sell your Jeep to buy a honda, you'll go to hell. It's somewhere in the back, near the maps.
mr_frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
jakemary
1977 CJ7 

what is the wheel base?? the cj 5 is 14"shorter than the cj 7 . and the doors are different.
jakemary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #7
COBRA5LADDICT

10" Shorter
COBRA5LADDICT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #8
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

the body should have some sort of "lip" sticking out. the doors are not perfectly straight like the newer jeeps. they have a stupid little piece sticking out. i dont have any pictures ATM but i will see what i can do. i am sure someone will have pictures of a 5 and 7 to show you.
1979CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
CT CJ
1985 CJ7 

a CJ 5 door frame will look like the back door on a cherokee... (on the cherokee, its the wheel well hump, on the CJ they cut the body in that way...)
the CJ7 will have a door similar to the wrangler (of any year)

i've seen a number of CJ's both 5's and 7's that didn't have a tailgate... they did a solid tub in the late 70's for some odd reason...
CT CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
1979CJ7
1979 CJ7 

thats the description i was wanting to say heh couldnt think of it
1979CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 05:02 PM   #11
Tyork_tex

Do you know where the vin# is located on it?
Unread 04-17-2006, 05:26 PM   #12
Heepajeep

Sounds like a 1955 to 1971 CJ5 which is 12.5" shorter wheelbase than a CJ7.
Where is the gas tank?
Heepajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #13
Tyork_tex

It is under the driver seat.
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM   #14
Tyork_tex

It has S-shaped door frames (the best way i can explain it) instead of the u-shaped door frames like the Cj-7 and Yj/Tj wranglers. So it is probably a Cj-5 but I 'm not sure the year model were is the vin # at?
Unread 04-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #15
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Its a 5 then, the vin should be on the drivers side firewall.
No_Bs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.