I just bought an 82 CJ 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I just bought an 82 CJ 7

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
Bwanabill
1982 CJ7 

I just bought an 82 CJ 7

I have been looking for a decent later model (82-86) CJ 7 for my son. he is a sophmore in college, and is wanting a daily driver. It took me a couple months, but I finally found this for $4500. It has the 258 I6, a 4 inch lift with BFG 33's, the rockers and hard top are aftermarket, and the engine was rebuilt (not sure when).

The bad:
Some rot in a couple spots under the windshield and at the windshield seal.
A little bit of rust in the driver floorboard.
One small rust hole and a some rust in the passenger floorboard.
Rear axle is welded.
Tear in the side of the drivers seat.
Carpet is mildewed
Tires have dry rot
windshield cracked
center console removed (missing) and gun rack installed

The good:
It is a Laredo with original seats, mostly stock and intact
Factory AC (does not work)
Engine runs great
4wd works great
It's an 82 CJ 7

I am looking for some advice about how to bring this up to speed as a daily driver without screwing up a classic jeep. my current plans are to replace the welded carrier and spiders with a stock open dif. Replace the tires with some 33" all terains. The carpet will come out and I am thinking of rhinoliner for the interior floor (after taking care of the rust). I will fix everything I can and replace what I can't.

What do I need to watch out for or be very careful with? I want to make it very functional, and keep it as a stock Laredo as much as possible. Thanks in advance. i will try to get some pictures up soon.

Bwanabill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

First off welcome to the Forum and the Addiction

Instead of Rhinoliner try this, follow the directions for prep, then just mix, shake and spray.

U-Pol Raptor Truck Bed Liner Kit - TP Tools & Equipment

As for any rust grind it off, if it goes through, then cut, patch and weld.

For the carpet rip it out and don't replace it The rest I think you have covered. Good Luck!
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
Texas Jeep
2013 JK Wrangler 

or check out Al's liner
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...uilds-1096630/
3.5 RK lift with 35 inch Duratrac's
1985 CJ7

Texas Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #4
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum and like Slik said, the "addiction". We love pics

Have you had a chance to inspect the frame? Rust, bends, cracks are not uncommon, but are relatively easy to fix.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

As has already been said....Welcome to the Jeep Forum, tons of good stuff here for you new CJ.

As Eagekeeper stated, "We love pics."

The easiest way to post pictures is to open a free account at photobucket.com and upload your pictures. You can then copy and paste the .img file directly into your posts for all of us to see your rig.

There's a old standing rule here on the forum that "It didn't happen if you don't show a picture of it."

Again......Welcome to the forum. There's a ton of help here to make things easier as you go through your new CJ.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 03:04 PM   #6
bamasteeler
1980 CJ7 

There's a old standing rule here on the forum that "It didn't happen if you don't show a picture of it."

Isnt that what Bill Clinton said??? lol

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
bamasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Bwanabill
1982 CJ7 

Thanks for the welcome and the tips.

The carpet is out and in the dumpster.

We pulled the seats, crappy amp and speakers, about 20 self tapping screws, and a lot of electrical taped wiring with questionable purpose.

We took the hard top off and used the shop vac to remove about 20 pounds of dirt, sand other accumulations of grime.

The passenger floorboard has a bit more rust than I first thought, but it is not real bad. The frame and all of the body mounts are sound. The rubber body mount bushings are all cracked and a couple bolts are a little bent.

We discovered that the leather steering wheel cover is intact beneath another steering wheel cover. I can't understand why anyone would do that, but I am thankful I suppose.

We took off the rear dif. cover and emptied out the chocolate milk. It looks like the spider gears and carrier will need replaced, but I don't think the axles are welded into the mix. I hope to check them some time this week.

All in all this looks to be a great project. Once we get the rear dif. fixed, some new tires and ALL of the fluids changed we should be on the road. After two days my son is thoroughly addicted and I am wondering how long I will have to wait till I can buy mine.

Thanks again. I will look into the photobucket thing and try to get some pics posted.

I will try to keep the pics up to date as we go. Might have to continue this in the build thread.

Last edited by Bwanabill; 11-21-2010 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: added pics link
Unread 11-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Nice find.......has it been repainted? Didn't see anything in your pics that is of any great concern, it should clean up nicely.

Good Job......
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
black954
1978 CJ7 

You guys and your near rust free CJ's! In Chicago, that would be absolutely unheard of conditon! Looks like a GREAT platform for a driver or a complete build. I'm very jealous!
black954 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
tbeaton

def use the upol raptor kit to do anything with bed liner. spray it on, goes down real quick and dries real quick. the prep takes the longest.
tbeaton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Bwanabill
1982 CJ7 

Minor Update

Thanks all. I am happy I found it. If not, it probly would have sat for a couple more years.

It has been repainted.

I got into the rear dif. The spiders are welded to the point that you can barely see them. I am hoping the axles themselves are not welded. I am going to borrow a buddies puller and give em a yank in a day or two.

I may be looking for the whole rear end. It looks like the AMC 20's are getting pretty rare, but I am not sure I can get it all apart without destroying everything. I thought about looking for another jeep as a dedicated traill rig and just swap rear ends, but I am almost certain the wife would not go for that.

I guess we'll see in a few days. I'll try to get some pics up of this also.
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
Brainwrap1980
1985 CJ7 

Fort Worth area?

I'm thinking i had seen this jeep in craigslist, are you in Fort Worth area?
Unread 11-22-2010, 03:06 PM   #13
jeepcj258
1980 CJ5 

Nice looking jeep.
jeepcj258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

let me know about the center section if you need one. My old open one is down in a box in the basement. no ring gear... but it was a 3.54.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #15
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Just down the road from you NW OKC, looking forward to following your build.
Good luck.
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.