Thanks for the welcome and the tips.
The carpet is out and in the dumpster.
We pulled the seats, crappy amp and speakers, about 20 self tapping screws, and a lot of electrical taped wiring with questionable purpose.
We took the hard top off and used the shop vac to remove about 20 pounds of dirt, sand other accumulations of grime.
The passenger floorboard has a bit more rust than I first thought, but it is not real bad. The frame and all of the body mounts are sound. The rubber body mount bushings are all cracked and a couple bolts are a little bent.
We discovered that the leather steering wheel cover is intact beneath another steering wheel cover. I can't understand why anyone would do that, but I am thankful I suppose.
We took off the rear dif. cover and emptied out the chocolate milk. It looks like the spider gears and carrier will need replaced, but I don't think the axles are welded into the mix. I hope to check them some time this week.
All in all this looks to be a great project. Once we get the rear dif. fixed, some new tires and ALL of the fluids changed we should be on the road. After two days my son is thoroughly addicted and I am wondering how long I will have to wait till I can buy mine.
Thanks again. I will look into the photobucket thing and try to get some pics posted.
I will try to keep the pics up to date as we go. Might have to continue this in the build thread.