I have two different locking hubs! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I have two different locking hubs!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

I have two different locking hubs!

When I bought my 1986 CJ-7 this spring I failed to notice that my right front hub cover was missing. Considering all the other issues it really didn't seem like a big deal. As I started to get all bugs out I decided it was time to find a replacement. To my surprise I found this item was not cheap or easy to come by. I did finally find one and took it to my favorite tire shop to have it installed. They removed the tire and the damn thing wouldn't fit over the hub. Sooooo now I'm not just looking for a hub to replace a perfectly good one, I need to find one that will fit inside the cover, and still work with the other. Oh, and I have no idea the make or model of the ones on it now.

wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Okay then...

Just so we're on the same page...
The HUB is on the axle and it allows us to lock or unlock the axle into or out of 4WD, right?

The HUB COVER is separate from both the hub and the wheel.

For a wheel to fit on a CJ, the centerbore must be a minimum of 4 inches. (The centerbore is the hole in the center of the wheel.)

For the Jeep to run, you really don't need a hub cover. Those are just fancy trim. The hubs don't really need to be a pair, as they operate independently. They are usually sold in pairs however, so I have no idea of why they don't match.

This is a FRONT wheel with a hub cover. Notice it's basically just a tube so you can have access to the hub for locking and unlocking the axle...

This is a REAR wheel with a hub cover. It's a full cap because access is not needed...

Again, the hub covers do not affect function and MANY Jeepers run without them. Does that help or did I miss?

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

post up pictures of what hubs are on the Jeep
seems the factory wheel/hub covers only went over the factory 5 bolt mounting hubs, not a 6 bolt hub
then, maybe I'm wrong too
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
1978CJ7Beast
1978 CJ7 

Stock CJ center caps definitely do not fit iver the older. 6 bolt pattern lockers (i discovered that when i tried putting em on my 1978 7). I too would like to see pics of what hubs we 're talking about here exactly .
1978CJ7Beast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.