I have to replace my Windshield cowl and glass seal. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I have to replace my Windshield cowl and glass seal.

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 10-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

I have to replace my Windshield cowl and glass seal.

I knew the windshield on my 1986 CJ-7 was leaking a little, and could see the windshield cowl seal was dried out and cracked and probably part of the problem. It was so bad it wrecked a new radio. Before I replace the radio I need to replace both, but I want quality parts, as I have heard that there are some issues with fit and quality. What are your best experiences? I only want to do this once.

wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
wrangler9754
1977 CJ5 

i used the seal from morris 4x4 center and it fit fine
wrangler9754 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

I used the crown seals that came with my aftermarket frame and glass. Both fit well
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
wsmutch
1986 CJ7 

Is Omix ada better than crown?
wsmutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

I would imagine that type of stuff probably comes from the same factories.
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #6
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Actually I did some research and there are several companies out there that do weather stripping for Jeeps. I try to stay away from Omix Ada and Crown I bought mine from here.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Weatherstrip/Jeep/CJ7
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I bought my Cowl Seal from J&G Classic Jeeps, its aftermarket of course but it is the best one out there. Talk to George Yezman @ (734) 624-4775 from J&G Classic Jeeps who will give you a better price. He has been restoring Jeeps for years and knows what the best seals are that are out there.

I was able to get my windshield glass seal from the local auto glass company who installed my windshield glass. The seal and labor to install was $80.00.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #8
1984Laredo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
I bought my Cowl Seal from J&G Classic Jeeps, its aftermarket of course but it is the best one out there. Talk to George Yezman @ (734) 624-4775 from J&G Classic Jeeps who will give you a better price. He has been restoring Jeeps for years and knows what the best seals are that are out there.

I was able to get my windshield glass seal from the local auto glass company who installed my windshield glass. The seal and labor to install was $80.00.
X2 on the cowl seal from J&G. I went through several of the cheap cowl seals from Crown and Omix-Ada before getting this one. There really is no comparison in terms of quality. I still had fitment problems with the front flap of the seal not wanting straighten out and lie flat against the front of the windshield frame (even after HOURS AND HOURS of repositioning, trying tape that didnt hold, and finally had to resort to weatherstripping sealant). After all that, it still fit better than the cheap ones.

I also bought the Crown windshield and hardtop lift gate glass seal. Both pieces of junk and wasted money. Both were too long! The windshield seal was just too much material to cause it to kind of roll up in places, causing a leak. The lift gate glass seal was 1.5" too long, and I had to cut a 1.5" section out of the seal to even be able to put the glass in! I have read where seceral others have encountered this issue, as well. Don't know how, but so far that joint I made where the 2 ends of the seal meet hasn't leaked yet, even without any weatherstripping sealant on it.
1984Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
That's what I would do.

A friend tried to install the glass himself and ended up cracking it. It's probably worth it to have a professional do it.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I have replaced my windshield seal a half dozen times using both crown and omix-ada with no issues and never worried about cracking it. Just take it slow and easy, rope and a bottle of soapy water go a long way. Ohh yeah and I didn't replace them because of leaks just fixing,painting,and repainting my windshield. Same with cowl seals and remember the windshield hinges can be loosened to adjust for any gaps from different cowl seal thicknesses.

One last thing to consider is the cowl fresh air vent for the heater. Those leaking behind the dash can be mistaken as windshield leaks.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si View Post
One last thing to consider is the cowl fresh air vent for the heater. Those leaking behind the dash can be mistaken as windshield leaks.
Yeah, I found that out. Scratched my head for a while trying to locate the leak.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I just did the Crown seals on my 85 (windshield, cowl, & tailgate) and they all fit perfectly.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
Actually I did some research and there are several companies out there that do weather stripping for Jeeps. I try to stay away from Omix Ada and Crown I bought mine from here.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Weatherstrip/Jeep/CJ7
Thank you

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #14
bdatkins
1978 CJ5 

I did mine with Crown and it fit fine, but man, what a pain. If I had to do it over again, I would probably have it installed.
bdatkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #15
commadore64
Jeep = bleeding money

1980 CJ5 

If you have a new WS frame and trouble getting the cowl seal to fit right, check out my build thread posts #201 & #210... the frame may have to be modified.

"For evil to flourish, all that is needed is for good people to do nothing."
commadore64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.