I have an idea aboute a split tailgate. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I have an idea aboute a split tailgate.

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 01-18-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

I have an idea aboute a split tailgate.

Has anyone made a tailgate for a cj that is 2 doors that open out to the sides? I have a design i made. Both doors would latch to the tub and each other so that it would resist bowing in or out. And I was thinking of using paddel handles on both doors to work the latches. Does a tailgate system like this already exist for a cj?

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

"This place is like a fine drug.

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Join [url]http://www.nightcrew.org/index.php[/url]
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

Interesting idea. What would be the point of it?
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

On trailers they are called barn doors. Why would you want to this. Most people with wranglers do a mod to make the talgates like the cjs. The flip down in my opinion is a bonus, not a negitive.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Because The spare tire carrier I'm goin to make is a flip down desing and I thought it would be interesting to have a split tailgate if no one else has done it. Right now the go buggy doesn't even have a tailgate.

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Red"]"Give Life" Donate a pint of blood.[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

It's easy to start, hard to quit, you lose sleep over it, you lose money because of it, and you put up with alot of **** from some people associated with it. But no matter what you never wanna give it up."

Can't sleep?
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
CJunk
1984 CJ7 

Didnt want to be mean, just couldnt figure out why...
Maybe you could rig a YJ gate to work somehow. They swing out on one side.
CJunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Don't worry I didn't think it was meant to be mean. I was just wandering if it was a good idea mostly. When I have the money to get a tailgate I'm not gonna mess with it cuz I can't afford a new one if I screw it up.

Can't sleep?
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:55 AM   #7
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Some Toyota FJ40's had split rear tailgates. Check out the attached photos - the red one has a split tailgate and a liftgate on the hardtop; the gold one has full height split doors.
70fj40-2.jpg   vehicles_dscn0341.jpg  

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

Thank you.

Can't sleep?
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

It is amazing how close that red one looks compared to our CJ's. So many times you hear about Rovers being better than Hummers and Jeeps, but it is amazing how those vehicles were originally modeled after ours, and how much many of them look like ours when they first started out. I know the H1 didn't but it was designed from what the 'new' military needed that our Jeeps couldn't do which caused them to look for another vehicle.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Nightwalker
1979 CJ5 

What's the one that looks like a giant jeep? I've seen it on tv and a couple up in town, but never close enough to find out what the hell it is.

Can't sleep?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.