I hate electical - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I hate electical

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
CopenhageCowboy
1984 CJ7 

I hate electical

So i mounted some new fog lights on my jeep but when i connected the power to the fusebox the fusable link fuse blew, as well as the power to my cd player, cigarette lighter plug thing, and my heater. its cold and i cant drive hearing my engine and tires all the time. i checked the wiring on the other side of the fusebox and didnt see any burnt wires, and the fuses are fine, but there are 3 spots on my fusebox that arent getting power anymore, they happen to all be next to eachother. turned out my hot wire from the lights got pinched in the dash panel and shorted when it touched the body. but i want my heat and radio back! helpp please

Unread 01-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
CSP

So undo whatever caused the short and replace the fusable link.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
CopenhageCowboy
1984 CJ7 

i replaced the fusable link but it was running from the light switch to the fuse box. and we ran the lights directly to the battery so that we wouldnt mess anything else up. but the heater and stuff still doesnt work
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

First, you should be running a relay to all your external high draw appliances. This allows you to run fused leads directly from the battery or solenoid. It also keeps you from overloading the existing fusebox.
That being said, you will need to test each fuse and holder with a test light. If you find everything dead, then drop the box and inspect the back of it for any damage. If you find none, you will need to identify the dead lead and trace it back.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Turn Signal Also Dead?

Here is a schematic of the fuse box and ignition switch.

There are two fuseable link and if the one for the fuse box blew then nothing will work.

But there could be a problem with the fuse box and or ignition switch so you will have to get out your test light and start finding out were the power stops.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2010, 01:07 AM   #6
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

For anyone modifying or contemplating modifying anything in the electrical system of a vehicle, I'd strongly suggest going to your local community college and taking a basic electricity course. Well worth the expense and time.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.