Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I got my roll bar!

748 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  magicmedic 
#1 ·
So happy! I found a yj with a family roll bar in a Brandon junk yard... $40. Cant wait to get it in my CJ!

#2 ·
40 bucks is a great price. I've seen them up to 200 bucks sometimes. Did you get the rear seat belts too?

I think I'm the only one that hates the term "family bar". Did folks not have family's before 1991? Yes, yes, I get the 3 point rear belt and I know that is safer ( in forward impacts ), but why couldn't it be called " the squared bar" or "the late YJ bar"?
I guess what bugs me is what the term implies. To someone who may not understand design and structure, it may come across as the older bar ( pre 91) only protects the driver while this later bar is safer and protects the whole family. People think it's all about roll overs when in fact the design change was to meet govt standards for seat belt design for rear passengers. The had to go to a 3 point system by a certain time. Rant over
Anyway, good price! If you where closer, I'd offer to buy your old one for 40 bucks!!ha

#3 ·
That is a great price! Did you also get the spreaders (bars from the hoop to the windshield)? They really complete the "look" of the cage.

#4 ·
While were ranting only in a jeep cj, I hear what your saying. And what some don't see because their blinded by that false security, is that in an actual rollover those "family" bars are even more dangerous to the rear seat passengers. There is no crossbar between the two to add support. So when the force hits that bar from the side as it rolls, it can fold right in towards the back seat, which also gives slack to the belts. Rant off! ;)

#5 ·
Triangulation is the key to any good bar system. 4 points can fold down like a box at each corner. But with 3 corner systems, there is no easy fold at the corners with all bars remaining straight. In this case, it is the job of the rear most or down bar to locate and jeep originated the main or B bar as the primary load barer.

I tell people the spreader bars are good for 3 things.
1. As a big grab bar
2. The help stiffen and hold the windshield angle
3 to help keep the windshield crushing straight down in a rollover, and not back onto you.

They are not to be confused with a real roll bar in any way.

#6 ·
Yes I got the spreader bars. There was only 1 rear belt setup left and it was badly weathered, so I left it.

I also got the spare tire carrier off the tailgate. Im gonna fab a frame and use it. Hopefully it will come out ok. Right now i have no spare tire setup at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.