I got to drive!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I got to drive!!!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-11-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
bulldogger
1983 CJ7 

I got to drive!!!

Ok, some of you all know that I bought an 83 CJ7 only to find out I could not reach the pedals, and there was some engine work that needed to be done. Well now about three weeks later after removing and replacing the seat up closer, changing the valve cover gasket, taping the valve cover (probably why it was leaking in the first place, misaligned screws), and giving the hood a "quick" fix I was able to drive around the neighborhood.

I could reach the pedals!!! YIPPIE. But after all of that, something still fills off. I think the steering. It is leaking quite a bit of PSF. Is that a fix that my husband and I could conquer on our own? Remember we have never done auto work before. That is why it took us so long to deal with the valve cover!!! But we are having fun. It is quality time.

Oh, the lights... both only work on High, the blinkers never blink. When we step on the brakes the blinkers in the dash come on!!! LOL Crazy... Wiring problems I guess.... right...?

I am so ready to get this thing some tags and insurance and start driving around town, but I am nervous still. Not like the other CJ's I have driven. If there is anyone in the cinicnnati/dayton ohio area that would like to come out and check her out for me I would really appreciate it. I want to know what all we need to take care of.

We will get her there I guess... I have to keep saying it.... "at least I have a jeep"

Unread 09-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Congrats!

your lighting issue is MOST LIKELY a grounding issue, which is (unfortunately) common with fiberglass tubs/clips. they need to have good grounds ran from most everything to the frame, or at a minimum, from a grounding bar to the frame.

where is your PS leaking at, hoses, resevoir, or box?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
bulldogger
1983 CJ7 

The PS is leaking from the part up near the front bumper... I think!!! I really do not know, guess I should take some pictures and have you all tell me what I am even looking at! There is a part near the front bumper that is round/cylindar shaped... looks like it could be leaking out of that. But there is also a part up a little from that that is had a drip hanging off of. Picture time tonight I guess!!!
Unread 09-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #4
mdwatts11
1979 CJ5 

Yes that is your steering box. They tend to leak, could be some sort of seal. Take some pics and it will be easier to decide.

1990 YJ 4.2L, New addition to my garage. 4" POS Lift, 2 inch body, Bulletproof MFG rear bumper 33" BFG MT, Nutter bypass, MC2100 Carb Upgrade.

Jeeps are money pits.
mdwatts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2007, 11:10 PM   #5
cutter4320
1979 CJ7 

My brake light causes both blinker lights in the dash to come on steady. I found out that the PO did some creative wiring that caused the blinkers to act wierd if the hazard light switch is on. If the hazard switch is off the blinkers work like a champ.
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonhoss71
.....where is your PS leaking at, hoses, resevoir, or box?
It is best to take it to the car wash and thoroughly clean all the residue from previous leakage. Maybe even follow up with a hand wiping. Then immediately look for leaks. It is much easier to spot the exact leak.
Ditto on checking the grounds, especially on a fiberglass body. Wiring can seem difficult and it can be but, it can also be simple things. Shops do not like to give estimates on wiring because too much depends on what they find as they work. I think we can talk you through this.
Congrats on the drive, .
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:30 AM   #7
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutter4320
My brake light causes both blinker lights in the dash to come on steady.
This sounds an awful lot like the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel. To me anyway but then I have not seen the creative wiring (shops hate that).
I will let the forum concur as I am no wiring expert.
Unread 09-12-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
Oily
1985 CJ7 

The bright lights issue could be the dimmer switch. Of course check them with a known good bulb first. An easy task. The dimmer switch usually bolts to the metal body. This might be a grounding problem on your fiberglass body, I don't know. Not sure the actual switch needs grounding.
You will test wires to troubleshoot wiring issues. Radio Shack should have them. They have alligator clips on each end come in different lengths. For sure get a pair (positive wire circumventing and negative wire circumventing) of real long ones. That way you can go from the front to the back side stepping the in body wiring in some circuits. A few shorter ones for ease of use in closer work tests.
Also invaluable is a 12 volt test light. Very inexpensive. It has an alligator clip on one end and a probe on the other with a light in between. Screw driver (ice pick actually) looking device. You clip the alligator clip on a know ground and then probe with the other end. It will light when there is power where it should be when you probe it. That way you can test the wires with out them being plugged in (headlights in you first problem).
You can also get a inexpensive ohm meter from Radio Shack, Home Depot, etc, for about ten dollars.
Having these items will allow you to follow some direction from us. Results will help us figure out what to do next.
Unread 09-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #9
Uncle Russ
1984 CJ7 

Key thing with your PS is to remember the fluid reservoir is at the top of the system and any leaking fluid will run down hill, so definitely clean it off good before you start "fixing" things. My PS hoses had some slow leaks plus a really nasty bleeder when I hit the stops (would spray fluid on the block). Just looking at the system when the Jeep was off, you'd think it was leaking around the steering gear (cylinder thing near your bumber) because that's where the fluid was dripping, but it actually was leaking further up the hoses.

To remove the hoses, you will need the appropriate-size line wrenches and you will have to drop the steering gear to get to the hose fittings on top. I decided to skip the headache of doing this repair myself and had my local mechanic do the swap for me.
-- Robert Earl Keen

Military Jeepers Click Here!
Uncle Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 12:14 PM   #10
bulldogger
1983 CJ7 

Thanks for all of the replies. I am working on the pictures... just have not had time to get them to the computer yet. I will post ASAP! Thanks for the ideas.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.