I found a sweet CJ....for a lot of $$$$ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I found a sweet CJ....for a lot of $$$$

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 01-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
nickhuts
1990 MJ Comanche 

I found a sweet CJ....for a lot of $$$$

This thing is pretty nice and thought I would share it with ya

Jeep : CJ : eBay Motors (item 160394450667 end time Feb-02-10 07:30:44 PST)

nickhuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #2
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For that price, you could buy a restored MB. Not knocking a CJ7, but still... overpriced!
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Too many 7's in the world. If it were a scrambler maybe.
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
tacjeep99

Very nice Jeep, but at the end of the day, still a 29 year old CJ-7. Way overpriced. I just love it when people sink a ton of money into a project, then expect to get all or most of their money back when they resell it.

Really, in my opinion, worth no more than 12-15K, tops.
tacjeep99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

yey 24.5k and does not even have selectable lockers... detroit lockers F & R

Pretty Pricey
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
blownsvtlightni
1981 CJ7 

some one who does the work themself can get those results for not alot of cash... 24K is crack smoking prices. Yery clean jeep. I hope mine turns out that nice when I am done with it... those are the results I am hoping for.. a clean stock looking restoration.
blownsvtlightni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is nice, but wow kind of expensive.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

5835 miles? If so low of miles why rebuild everything? Or did he turn the odo back?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
trillobite
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
5835 miles? If so low of miles why rebuild everything? Or did he turn the odo back?
It says a zero'd out odometer, so that's three ways there's a discrepancy on just the odometer. Is it zero, 5835, or turned back from some unknown number?
trillobite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

safe to say he wont be selling it. the guys trying to get all the money hes got into it back. good luck.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
ag4ever
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
Too many 7's in the world. If it were a scrambler maybe.
I would not even pay that much for a cj-8.

It appears the owner does not know how to fix things, just replace if not perfect. To restore one of these you realy should learn how to fix things that can be fixed unless you have that much money to burn.
ag4ever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:25 AM   #12
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag4ever View Post
I would not even pay that much for a cj-8.

It appears the owner does not know how to fix things, just replace if not perfect. To restore one of these you realy should learn how to fix things that can be fixed unless you have that much money to burn.
Yah I hear ya.... But because they are fairly rare some might.
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Ok, just to pick it apart a bit. LOL!

Poor guy is trying to get his investment back, too bad that never works in real life. But I kinda hope he gets it. Makes mine worth a whole bunch more.

It has a new 'rebuilt' engine that looks to have been never started, 0 wear in any pulleys and all spanking fresh filters so the engine is an unknown with a turned down crank to boot. For that price, I would expect a new crank, not one peeled down skinny.

The tranny and T-case have been rebuilt, again never driven on so who knows if the rebuild took.

The speedometer has been zeroed or it has 5K miles, (not on that engine) or the guy has no clue?? Most folks also show the speedo with the engine on so you know the gauges actually do something. (again implying the engine may not even run)

He has the worst set of spark plug wires I have ever gotten suckered into buying, Accel. They all fell apart the first time I checked my plugs after a rebuild and got way back in the bush for 2 weeks. I checked them because it was missing, turns out it was the wires, all the ends fell off on both sides. Had to limp out 100 miles to get 'real' plug wires, OEM.

The body mounts are missing their core parts and will soon blow (one shown is already blowing out sideways) out if not repaired correctly which implies the builder did not know even the basics, doesn't bode well for the rest of the quality.

Poly mounts all around, it will vibrate and you will feel every bump and burp of the ground and engine.

Reverse shackles up front are well, iffy.... Nose dive time!

The exhaust is 'extremely' dangerous and totally illegal in most places. Having it come out in front of the wheels is fine for a track vehicle, but the exhaust will vortex in the wheel well and you will get carbon monoxide poisioning.

Most places require the exhaust to exit 'behind' any passenger compartments and Jeep specifically has the tailpipe coming out on a 45 angle off the corners between the rear frame and spring. The spring shackle may interfere with this proper fitting even, that back shackle doesn't look 'right'.

He thinks it is an SUV? My CJ is registered as a UV or utility vehicle, SUV's didn't exist back then.

Just to play the devil's advocate...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:03 AM   #14
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Ok, just to pick it apart a bit. LOL!

Poor guy is trying to get his investment back, too bad that never works in real life. But I kinda hope he gets it. Makes mine worth a whole bunch more.

It has a new 'rebuilt' engine that looks to have been never started, 0 wear in any pulleys and all spanking fresh filters so the engine is an unknown with a turned down crank to boot. For that price, I would expect a new crank, not one peeled down skinny.

The tranny and T-case have been rebuilt, again never driven on so who knows if the rebuild took.

The speedometer has been zeroed or it has 5K miles, (not on that engine) or the guy has no clue?? Most folks also show the speedo with the engine on so you know the gauges actually do something. (again implying the engine may not even run)

He has the worst set of spark plug wires I have ever gotten suckered into buying, Accel. They all fell apart the first time I checked my plugs after a rebuild and got way back in the bush for 2 weeks. I checked them because it was missing, turns out it was the wires, all the ends fell off on both sides. Had to limp out 100 miles to get 'real' plug wires, OEM.

The body mounts are missing their core parts and will soon blow (one shown is already blowing out sideways) out if not repaired correctly which implies the builder did not know even the basics, doesn't bode well for the rest of the quality.

Poly mounts all around, it will vibrate and you will feel every bump and burp of the ground and engine.

Reverse shackles up front are well, iffy.... Nose dive time!

The exhaust is 'extremely' dangerous and totally illegal in most places. Having it come out in front of the wheels is fine for a track vehicle, but the exhaust will vortex in the wheel well and you will get carbon monoxide poisioning.

Most places require the exhaust to exit 'behind' any passenger compartments and Jeep specifically has the tailpipe coming out on a 45 angle off the corners between the rear frame and spring. The spring shackle may interfere with this proper fitting even, that back shackle doesn't look 'right'.

He thinks it is an SUV? My CJ is registered as a UV or utility vehicle, SUV's didn't exist back then.

Just to play the devil's advocate...

The odometer is not that big of a deal. You guys dont put new odometers in when you do a frame off? I do.

In Florida (where I am, I know everyone elses state is diff) I think after 12 years they change you to odometer exempt. My truck is a 93 and it has a odometer exempt even though it only had 60k when I bought it.

My biggest criticism is that transfer case? Can you imagine a rock in the middle of the trail.. That case is like 2 feet under the jeep lol.
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
The odometer is not that big of a deal. You guys dont put new odometers in when you do a frame off? I do.
Well actually that odometer reading is kinda a big deal because it isn't what the seller claims it to be. Goes for credibility. No way that engine has 5K+ miles on it, it is far too clean.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.