I feel stupid! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I feel stupid!

XT (ExtremeTerrain.com) has Barricade Off-Road Armor!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
Shroudedllama
1978 CJ5 

I feel stupid!

The PO of my 78 cj5 swapped out transmissions and transfer cases to a t177 and a Dana 300. He changed the shifter stick knob to the 4 speed pattern for the t177 but left the original transfer case stick knob. Guess who's been driving around the farm in 4L thinking he was in 2H and wondering how on Earth he was ever going to drive this thing anywhere with a estimated top speed of 35?

Shroudedllama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:51 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

It must have been a great relief when you realized it'd go faster than 35!
Unread 04-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
Shroudedllama
1978 CJ5 

After the hand on forehead moment yeah. All the googling and forum reading I've done trying to figure out exactly what I have (still unsure on the axels..) I never thought to Google "Dana 300 shift pattern" until today. I never claimed to be a smart man.
Unread 04-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Just to further confirm. Look at the pan at the bottom of the t case. IF its thick (hangs down some) its a dana 20. IF its thin, a Dana 300. AND then of course there's the shift pattern.

Dana 20 /Dana 300
4H ------- 4L
2H--------- N
N ---------2H
4L--------- 4H

Can you post pics of the axles? we can tell you from there.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
Shroudedllama
1978 CJ5 

It's for sure a t177 mated to a Dana 300, I found the markings and looked the up to confirm. At least that's cleared up!

My axle confusion stems from this:

I was trying to figure out my gear ratios because it was soooo low geared (or I thought it was because I was in low range) so I looked up how to identify them. Easy enough! Rear is definitely an AMC 20, simple to tell from the shape! So I found the stamp on the passengers side of the pumpkin so I could determine ratio by the handy chart! It's stamped with a single "D" meaning 2.72 gears. I confirmed this by reading the plate on the front axle (Dana 30 according to shape even though the ratio plate was on the wrong side of the pumpkin, and none of the other markings were there).

What puzzles me is that according to what I've read the only way it would have a single "D" on it is if it was a wide track, and it's not. If it had 2 (DD) it could be a narrow track with a track lock. But it doesn't.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to decipher the VIN as the plate is pretty bad. I've been trusting the one on the title, but I'm wondering if it's the right title. The PO had at least 2 jeeps that I know of, his and his wife's. I purchased mine from his estate after his passing so I'm wondering if my 78 is a 78 after all.
Unread 04-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #6
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroudedllama View Post
Guess who's been driving around the farm in 4L thinking he was in 2H and wondering how on Earth he was ever going to drive this thing anywhere with a estimated top speed of 35?
Oh, man - I thought I was the only one who did stuff like this

Glad you got that part straightened out, but hoowee - I just read your post and woke my wife up.... That made me LOL... I swear it sounds just like something I would do!
shum8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:13 AM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

There are other more absolute ways to determine the axle gearing: lift the rear or front end up, spin the wheels and count the rotations of the drive shaft. Divide # of wheel rotations by # of drive shaft rotations (or was it vice-versa?) and you've got your gear ratios. This is complicated by whether or not you have an open or locking differential, in which case it'll be obvious because one wheel will turn one way, the other the other direction. In the case of an open diff, multiply your wheel rotations (or was it drive shaft rotations? ) by two.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:41 AM   #8
Dolf
1986 CJ7 

"To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity." - William Arthur Ward
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #9
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Shrouded hey look at it this way " your becoming experienced"
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 10:55 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I had a friend who's wife had a little to much to drink one night. She got in their Bronco and for some reason the t-case shifter caught her eye. She was thinking that she didn't want to drive home with the bronco high off the road so she put it in low and drove all the way home on the freeway like that. They soon bought another vehicle....:P
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 07:36 PM   #11
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
..She was thinking that she didn't want to drive home with the bronco high off the road so she put it in low and drove all the way home on the freeway like that...
That rational thinking is purely the product of someone who has had way too much to drink.

Or is a Agency Director in the Federal Government...
Unread 04-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #12
skalve85
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackFabrication View Post
That rational thinking is purely the product of someone who has had way too much to drink.

Or is a Agency Director in the Federal Government...
As I work for the government, I would go with the latter.
skalve85 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #13
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Just remembered the time I helped a lady in a F250 that couldn't back out of a parking spot because of 4 inches of snow and ice under it.
I asked "are you in 4x4?" she replied "my husband told me not to use it, it takes to much gas".
OP don't feel stupid there are much better examples of stupid running around, you were just working with the wrong information.
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:27 AM   #14
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalve85 View Post
As I work for the government, I would go with the latter.
I'm retired Federal. 32 years. Never really understood a lot of the decisions that were made 'above my pay grade'....
Unread 04-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #15
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjerryp7m8 View Post
I asked "are you in 4x4?" she replied "my husband told me not to use it, it takes to much gas".
Priceless....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.