I check my gas when i fill up with oil, can you help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I check my gas when i fill up with oil, can you help

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-03-2002, 12:25 PM   #1
RedJeep

I check my gas when i fill up with oil, can you help

I need some help detecting my oil leak(s)
I have a 1981 cj7. Stock 258 engine. I have owned it for 2 years now and have always had an oil leak. I replaced the plastic valve cover hoping that would stop at least some of the leak. i get oil on the underside of my hood so i presume my leak isnt only a rear seal. I found that i had a plugged exhaust pipe causing backpressure and causing an oil leak out of the top of the valvecover and have replaced my bad pipe. Now the jeep runs better than ever but my oil leak is still as bad as ever. everywher i park i leave my mark. when i travel at speeds over 50 or so on a highway i find that the oil drips from all over my undercarrige when i stop. i believe i need a new rear seal but where else would all the oil be coming from. i see fresh oil on the top of my valve cover. I know the valve cover is on good. ive replaced the gasket 3 times and used silicon. I am running out of ideas to try before taking it in to the shop, i would like to do do as much as i can before i do that. any help will be appreciated.

Unread 09-03-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How's your PCV system? If that's not working correctly, you'll build up too much pressure in the crankcase. Then you'll leak oil out of various crevices, as well as blowing it out your dipstick tube.
(Try holding your engine at 3000 - 3200 rpms for a minute or two, while parked. Watch around the dipstick tube and other potential sources for the leakage, with the engine running at this rpm)

I have two buddys this happened to. Both fixed most of the problem by re-routing the PCV system the way it should be (Check Chiltons/Haynes) and assuring that the PCV valve is working.
One other step each of them took was to install a later model dipstick from an AMC Eagle. It has a better "cap" on the dipstick, holds it in place better, resists internal pressure a little better.

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2002, 04:53 PM   #3
RedJeep

Thanks for the advice i will check that tonight after work,
Unread 09-03-2002, 09:33 PM   #4
dana60cj

How old is Your engine? High mileage engines blow seals even if you replace them over and over again. Plastic valve covers warp when they are heated and cooled over and over again too, so the gasket might not be adhearing to the cover very well if it is warped or cracked. If you are getting oil on your hood that has to be coming from around the valve cover. lynn is right to check your pcv system and it's routing. The other possibility is that it is blowby coming from either your pcv vent in the air box or your grommet that attatches to the valve cover. The best way to find a leak is to degrease the entire engine and then you can see where it is coming from. Based on your testimony I would imagine it is hard to see where it's coming from if the whole undercarriage is coated in oil.

I've had problems with fuel pumps, and distributors leaking oil too.

Last edited by dana60cj; 09-03-2002 at 09:38 PM..
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 07:02 AM   #5
lynn
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by dana60cj
If you are getting oil on your hood that has to be coming from around the valve cover.
I agree with everything dana60cj said, except this. Although it might be coming from the valve cover, I've seen two different 258s spray the underside of the hood, the undercarriage, and the windshield of the Jeep following behind on the highway, all from oil blowing out from the dipstick tube.

Not bashing, just wanted to clarify that oil on the underside of the hood can have more than one source...

EarlyCJ5.net Forums
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 07:11 AM   #6
dana60cj

Yes Indeedio!

Exactly, every orafice can leak so distributor, fuel pump gasket, oil fill plug,gromets on the cover, dipsticks are a popular problem, the oil pressure sensor that screws in the back of the block on the passanger side. Timing chain cover, oil pan gasket I have always had trouble with the back of My valve cover. There are many different ways that oil could be leaking out. That kind of problem ruined one of My clutches because it gets on the disk between the bellhousing and the motor. So beware of the Just Empty Every Pocket syndrome.

Last edited by dana60cj; 09-04-2002 at 07:15 AM..
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 09:05 AM   #7
RedJeep

Some very good information, I do notice oil puddling up about 3/4 of the way back on the valve cover where it mounts to the block. My valve cover is an aftermarket alluminum valve cover. I quickly got rid of the warped and cracked plastic cover that came with it. My odometer reads 35K mind you I replaced the speedo cable when i bought the jeep cause it didnt work. So I really have no idea as far as actual mileage.
Unread 09-04-2002, 10:09 AM   #8
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by RedJeep
My valve cover is an aftermarket alluminum valve cover. I quickly got rid of the warped and cracked plastic cover that came with it.
This could be a good part of your problem. Many of the aftermarket covers do not have the proper baffling on them and allow cylinder pressures to build up instead of venting them through the PCV system.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 10:34 AM   #9
RedJeep

Quote:
Originally posted by CSP

This could be a good part of your problem. Many of the aftermarket covers do not have the proper baffling on them and allow cylinder pressures to build up instead of venting them through the PCV system.

How would I go about checking that?
Unread 09-04-2002, 04:44 PM   #10
89JEEPNYC

Check your oil filler cap. They leak all the time.
89JEEPNYC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.