LinkBack Thread Tools
post #751 of 765 Old 04-19-2017, 11:37 AM
RoughRiderAZ
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefflanglois View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderAZ View Post
I made this upgrade a few years ago and couldn't get it to run right when first installing. I called MSD and they suggested running my pickup through the white wire as a trigger. I believe this is because I kept the AMC ignition box in as a backup. Just a heads up if anyone else runs into a similar issue.
I installed an MSD coil, too, then pulled it out and put the OEM coil back in because it wouldn't run right. In hindsight, it's probably not the issue, but I haven't put it back in yet. Did you consider upgrading to the MSD ignition box (MSD 6A I believe)?
I put in the MSD ignition box. I kept the stock coil, and I kept the stock box as a backup. The stock box is the trigger for the MSD box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 765 Old 04-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Or, Option 3: he didn't want to mess with it in the first place. In fact, when the shop manager walked back to the bay to assign it to him (the older guy with carb experience), I walked around the side and the mechanic says "Why me?!". The manager said, "because you're the only guy that I have that has carb experience!" Oh boy.

Should've walked then....
I would have ran, not walked.

For future reference, the CJ community is a very helpful bunch, especially here. And we generally don't let anyone touch our CJs, for many of the reasons you just described.

If you get ambitious and try to work on your own rig, let us know. Assuming you know the difference between a lugnut and a donut, we can usually walk you thru just about anything.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Matt
JeepdaddyRC and Scott1982 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #753 of 765 Old 04-20-2017, 10:56 AM
MattGinOK
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So I did the Team Rush Upgrade this weekend- Cap, rotor (which came with the cap BTW), wires, new plugs gapped to 0.045, even the MSD Ignition coil (no 2f anymore, only 2, and had to add some connectors since the horseshoe connector no longer fit). Anyway, fired it up and it ran great!... until it warmed up and the idle slowed to ~6500. Started running very rough, with smoke billowing out of the tailpipe. It couldn't hold an idle and died.

Sounds like a timing issue (?), but I didn't loosen the distributor or change anything with the timing. I followed the instructions verbatim. How would changing the cap and rotor change the timing... if that is even what it is? The rotor is still pointing to the contact in the cap at the same place it was before. Anyway, not sure what to do now. I've reached the extent of my technical knowledge and worried I'm going to do some real internal damage (it was running VERY rough) while I learn to fix whatever is the problem now. Anyone w/ any suggestions? Maybe it would be better to just put it in the shop and have someone else (sigh) who know's what they're doing fix it? With their hands touching all over my Jeep. ugh.

86 CJ-7 258 w/ recently (2 weekends ago) rebuilt Carter BBD (<-- I was arrogant after a recent big success)
All I have to add is change carb to weber 38. Night and day. Changed after screwing around with BBD (and a weber 36, free) for weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
P1100562_done_20170207.jpg  

MattGinOK
1988 YJ, 4.2L, NV3550, NP231, Nuttered, Weber 38, Blaster 3, EGR blocked

post #754 of 765 Old 04-24-2017, 11:50 AM
nasa1
1985 CJ7 

I completed my team rush this weekend.....it's not as pretty as I wanted but jeep seems to idle a lot better. used autolite spark plugs, accel wires. next step is to read up on my carter carburetor and adjust as needed and maybe even rebuild; in addition, to replacing front wheel bearings per my local mechanic....he said my front wheel is going to fall off????????? is that true? this is all new to me!!
Attached Images

post #755 of 765 Old 08-09-2017, 09:21 PM
spitnhit

Ready to do this!

Hey JH and the rest of the jeep community. Thanks for all this great information.

I have a '75 CJ5 with a 258, I-6 complete with the prestolite ignition. The module is leaking black goo down the fender, I purchased a new one but, once installed, the jeep doesn't run or idle well. It runs great with the old leaky one.

Anyway, I'm ready to do this change and upgrade but, just want to verify everything and get any input before I start. I know its all been put on here but, just making sure I read everything correctly. Thanks for your patience!

So, I need......

'79 Reman CJ Distributor (Jeep/Motorcraft).
Team Rush Upgrade parts....
Distributor cap
Distributor cap adapter
Rotor
Plug wires
Plugs
CDI Module (MSD 6A)
Coil (But can use the one I have)
Wire harness adapters
Coil Connectors
(I do have all the part #'s written down).

Ok, now my questions.

1.) Anything else I need?

2.) Planning on adding all the dedicated grounds. Do I need these? (I'm sure I do but, just confirming).

3.) Do I need the diode in the engine wire harness.

Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
post #756 of 765 Old 08-09-2017, 09:41 PM
1985 CJ7 

Dedicated grounds for sure!
Diode highly recommended! (You are speaking of the one at Alternator, right?) - simple plug adaptor.
DIELECTRIC GREASE!

You can do this without the Module for now and add it as it becomes affordably available.
post #757 of 765 Old 08-12-2017, 01:02 PM
spitnhit

Cj Need your suggestion

Jeep hammer, I need to know what you suggest today for the coil and ignition module to complement the team rush upgrade for my Jeep ('75 Jeep CJ5, 258 with prestolite). I have read through all the post on here and have noticed that some items are no longer available. The MSD blaster 2F and the summit ignition module kit are the two items I'm not sure about. I'd appreciate your help please. Thanks.
post #758 of 765 Old 08-12-2017, 01:10 PM
1985 CJ7 

MSD 2 p/n 8200 or 8203, For breaker Points Ignitions,

MSD 2 p/n 8202 for Electronic Ignition Applications,

MSD 2F p/n 8205 For Factory Ford Applications (which is what I have; may no longer be available),

MSD High Vibration p/n 8222, Epoxy Filled instead of Oil Filled,

MSD 3 p/n 8223 Plug Wire terminal instead of socket terminal on top (the one you need and will have to change plug connection style).

All have the same specifications. They share the same windings and turn ratios and are pretty much the same coil; except for connectors, added resistors for breaker points, etc.
post #759 of 765 Old 08-12-2017, 02:26 PM
spitnhit

Cj

Thanks,
I'm planning on changing the distributor to a '79 jeep/motorcraft distributor along with doing the team rush upgrade. The 2Fcoil is no longer available from what I'm seeing, still searching though. I haven't been able to find the summit ignition module kit that's mentioned earlier in these post either.
post #760 of 765 Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitnhit View Post
Thanks,
I'm planning on changing the distributor to a '79 jeep/motorcraft distributor along with doing the team rush upgrade. The 2Fcoil is no longer available from what I'm seeing, still searching though. I haven't been able to find the summit ignition module kit that's mentioned earlier in these post either.
You can get by for now simply using your OEM coil. This way you can keep researching for the one to pop up. I found mine on eBay; it was NOS. They do show up so use your OEM one for now. Also, the module is not mandatory to get this installed. It is an added option. You can add that later too.
post #761 of 765 Old 08-12-2017, 02:45 PM
spitnhit

I've got to have a module, mine is shot.
post #762 of 765 Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 PM
cj5chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitnhit View Post
The 2Fcoil is no longer available from what I'm seeing, still searching though.
Found one last year brand new in box at my local Advance Auto. They had to get it sent from their Alaska store. If you have an Advance Auto in your area it's worth a shot.
Good hunting!
post #763 of 765 Old 08-13-2017, 06:27 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

MSD 6a module, and their TFI coil (#8227) would be my choice.

Matt

post #764 of 765 Old 08-13-2017, 09:30 AM
spitnhit

Matt,
Just got done looking and researching the TFI coil. If I go with that set up, will I have to go with the '82 300cid, ford I-6 distributor instead of the '79 Jeep/ motor craft distributor.
If I'm reading correctly, that's what I'd have to do correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #765 of 765 Old 08-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitnhit
Matt, Just got done looking and researching the TFI coil. If I go with that set up, will I have to go with the '82 300cid, ford I-6 distributor instead of the '79 Jeep/ motor craft distributor. If I'm reading correctly, that's what I'd have to do correct? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the Jeep distributor will work fine.

Be sure to snag the MSD module to Motorcraft dizzy connector mentioned by Jeephammer on several of his posts.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.