I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive) - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive)

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
martydriscoll
1984 CJ7 

well, i just got done with the team rush upgrade and WOW!!!!! my jeep has a lot more snappy throttle, way better power up high.. it probably revs 500 more rpm higher than it used to.. it used to bog really bad before shifts when flooring it... all gone now!!! i wish i would have done this months ago, but when i bought it (not too long ago) the tune up was fresh!! i had no idea it would make that much of a difference!!!!

martydriscoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM   #32
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa View Post
Very nice writeup! Could you post a larger pic of the rotor showing the carbon tracks? I may have seen that before on other older vehicles but didn't remark on it.
Sorry man, you will have to wait for another Jeeper to be stranded before I get another rotor, and as you can tell, my photography leaves a LOT to be desired!

That rotor is LONG GONE...
Probably still in the dumpster at the local off road park where we did this upgrade to get the guy running!
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #33
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydriscoll View Post
well, i just got done with the team rush upgrade and WOW!!!!! my jeep has a lot more snappy throttle, way better power up high.. it probably revs 500 more rpm higher than it used to.. it used to bog really bad before shifts when flooring it... all gone now!!! i wish i would have done this months ago, but when i bought it (not too long ago) the tune up was fresh!! i had no idea it would make that much of a difference!!!!

Makes a difference when the spark actually reaches the CORRECT spark plug!
Unread 01-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #34
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Hey is there any need to re-time your engine with this upgrade?
jfite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #35
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfite View Post
Hey is there any need to re-time your engine with this upgrade?
Not unless you had to move your distributor in the process,
OR,
You are eliminating the timing computer in the I-6 versions.

The new cap and rotor Index EXACTLY where the old ones did.
Unread 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #36
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

?
Please look at the regular canister coil. The "RED" adapter that is plugged into it, what is the part number. I looked to day & couldn't find it. I already have the cap, adapter, rotor & wires but still have the old coil for now.

Here is what I have (I just bought a new adapter today). Notice the coil wire which needs to go into the coil. Yes I do have a E-coil set up here but that is getting moved w/a bracket to the CJ8 V8 build. So, does this red coil adapter exist or am I just seeing a colored part of the pic for illustration purposes. If so, then I will have to go get a coil wire from AA.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #37
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollbar View Post
?
Please look at the regular canister coil. The "RED" adapter that is plugged into it, what is the part number. I looked to day & couldn't find it. I already have the cap, adapter, rotor & wires but still have the old coil for now.

Here is what I have (I just bought a new adapter today). Notice the coil wire which needs to go into the coil. Yes I do have a E-coil set up here but that is getting moved w/a bracket to the CJ8 V8 build. So, does this red coil adapter exist or am I just seeing a colored part of the pic for illustration purposes. If so, then I will have to go get a coil wire from AA.

REALLY GOOD CATCH!
I'll bet you are one of about 3 or 4 that saw the picture and noticed the adapter on the coil!

The store didn't have the Ford I-6 wires that would have had the correct coil wire,
SO,
We would up with a set for a 4.0L I-6 Jeep, and they worked wonderfully...
EXCEPT!
For the coil wire!

The adapter is a MSD 'Power Tower',
(Silly name for a terminal adapter since it doesn't add any power of any kind...)

A single is,
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

and a set of 9 is,

One problem is, you have a plug wire for a coil wire...
This will fix it either way, but generally, since the coil wires have to take a beating from EVERY cylinder fire, I try and use better terminal ends on the coil wire over the plug wires...

You *MIGHT* want to consider this...
MSD p/n 84039

Solves two problems with one rock.
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:02 PM   #38
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Thank you very much forthe help & write up.

P.S. Ordered one, w/shipping.
$12.95
$4.95
------
$17.90

Last edited by Rollbar; 01-19-2009 at 08:13 PM..
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #39
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Oh no my wires don't fit the cap! I just did the upgrade and the wires don't snap on the distributor cap, so before I started modifying I figured I would come ask the experts. Is there a trick to it, or am I using the wrong wires. Thanks for your patience, I'm a noob! Oh, 84 CJ7 I6! And if I am supposed to squeeze them I don't think the rubber will seal, hmm.
Unread 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #40
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfite View Post
Oh no my wires don't fit the cap! I just did the upgrade and the wires don't snap on the distributor cap, so before I started modifying I figured I would come ask the experts. Is there a trick to it, or am I using the wrong wires. Thanks for your patience, I'm a noob! Oh, 84 CJ7 I6! And if I am supposed to squeeze them I don't think the rubber will seal, hmm.
Take the spark plug wires back keep them clean and like new. Get a set of spark plug wires for a 1994 Jeep 4.0 engine. They will have boots for all male terminals. Use one of the brands mentioned above. MSD, Autolite, or the Napa's Belden Dark Navy Blue ones.

You will need a updated coil with a male terminal or get the MSD adapter for the coil JeepHammer has pictured.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #41
jfite
1984 CJ7 

I found it! Thanks

Last edited by jfite; 01-20-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Unread 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Hey is there a problem with the coil wire on the p/n 96171 wire set? Is it not long enough? I can get those today, otherwise I need to order the others with the kit.
Unread 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #43
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Ok, here is what U need.

Here is is installed. It wouldn't fit so I had to unscrew the top some & it fit right in, tightened by hand & then a tad w/my kleins & done. I did add some more wireloom to the other two wires

Unread 01-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #44
jfite
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for all the help! I got it going today. It's great!
Unread 01-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #45
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

I pulled up to a light yesterday & the Jeep wasn't running Looked down @ my amp meter gauge & it was sitting on 14, I say to myself, SELF, the Jeep is running, self says back to me, can't be, I can't feel it. Self says, hit the gas pedal dummy & you will see . Well self was right & it was running . Thanks JH for the info/help

Now I just have to clean off the D-grease from the Summit coil adapter, I put a small bit of it (tiny) on there before insertion & JH says

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.