I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive) - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I-6 'TeamRush Upgrade' (definitive)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #166
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazdackster View Post
Jeephammer - question: One of the first things I did when I got my '84 was power wash the engine. It wouldn't start after that, so I took apart the distributor and it had some moisture in it. Turns out I had knocked a ground wire off some part of the ignition with the wand, and once I fixed that it was fine (and clean!)...
When you power wash a engine.....
It should be warm, not hot, so the grease is easier to get off, I use a engine degreaser too. The trick it to take 1-2 plastic bags (more than 1 layer) and rubber bands and cover up the distirubtor cap and alternator and top of carb/entrance throat. Put the bags in place and try not to soak with degreaser or the water when you pressure wash..

You can toast the alternator if you get it wet, and strand your self by sparying the distirbutor cap.

I have done this lots, hope it helps,

Fred

Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #167
jon1371usmc
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you use the Jeep OEM wires for the team rush upgrade or do you have to get a different set? The reason I ask is that I just purchased a brand new set of wires for my Jeep before I came across this post.
jon1371usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #168
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1371usmc View Post
Can you use the Jeep OEM wires for the team rush upgrade or do you have to get a different set? The reason I ask is that I just purchased a brand new set of wires for my Jeep before I came across this post.
If they are 'Brand New' take them back and trade them in as not being the correct ones.

The plug wires you use with the TearRush upgrade have different ends than the factory wires.
The Factory distributor cap has 'Socket' type connectors,
And the Upgraded cap & plug wires have 'Spark Plug' type terminals.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2009, 10:32 AM   #169
genghisman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I just did this upgrade from a crappy CRT HEI clone, and I could barely do 50-55 without the engine fighting me. Now, I can maintain a 60-65mph with no trouble at all. I messed up a connection, but got it figured out with JeepHammer's help, now I am very happy I did it.
Iraqi Freedom 3 and 5 Vet
genghisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #170
cmcstotts
1976 CJ5 

JeepHammer I have a 1976 cj5 with I-6 258 and prestolite ignition. I actually had started a new thread before I found this one. I want to do a complete upgrade. I was looking at the DUI all in one package for around $300. Seems pricey but it looks to be an easy install for someone like me. However, I dont know if it is a good quality install. What do you think?

After reading your post I think I might be able to do this choice:
2. Second Choice,
Would be for the 'Full On' Ignition,

'78 or '79 Reman Distributor for CJ with I-6 engine,
This will give you the Jeep/Motorcraft distributor that is upgradeable,

Cap Adapter, Cap, Rotor, Plug Wires from the 'TeamRush' upgrade,

CDI module, And a Coil of some sort (even your Prestolite coil will work).
I am thinking of trying your install.
cmcstotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #171
OSUAV8R

Hammer, I have a I6 with the Mopar kit on it. I will upgrade my cap rotor and wires... but do I need a new coil? Why is the summit box better than the MSD?

I am looking at a new module I had the Jacobs box but I threw it out it was junk.. and that was before the Mopar install

Thanks

Nate
OSUAV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #172
OSUAV8R

Hammer, with the mopar kit on.. do I need the new cap? It seems that the TR upgrade makes a big difference on the carb equipped jeeps.. do YJ owners (the mopar kit is basically a 94 YJ set up) do the TR upgrade as well?
Unread 07-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #173
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcstotts View Post
JeepHammer I have a 1976 cj5 with I-6 258 and prestolite ignition. I actually had started a new thread before I found this one. I want to do a complete upgrade. I was looking at the DUI all in one package for around $300. Seems pricey but it looks to be an easy install for someone like me. However, I dont know if it is a good quality install. What do you think?

After reading your post I think I might be able to do this choice:
2. Second Choice,
Would be for the 'Full On' Ignition,

'78 or '79 Reman Distributor for CJ with I-6 engine,
This will give you the Jeep/Motorcraft distributor that is upgradeable,

Cap Adapter, Cap, Rotor, Plug Wires from the 'TeamRush' upgrade,

CDI module, And a Coil of some sort (even your Prestolite coil will work).
I am thinking of trying your install.
Going this way, you will have about the same amount of money in the install,
BUT,
You will have 500% to 1,000% more USEABLE Spark Energy over any HEI clone...

$300 or $400 is a bunch to spend for just another factory style, single fire ignition system that has it's own problems...

By going with the factory Jeep/Motorcraft distributor,
Large cap and rotor,
Reasonable plug wires,
Good coil,
And CDI module,
You have a completely modular system that is a serious ignition compared to an HEI clone that is simply a single fire unit with VERY limited spark energy.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUAV8R View Post
Hammer, I have a I6 with the Mopar kit on it.

I will upgrade my cap rotor and wires... but do I need a new coil?
Nope, you can use the same coil, not a problem on the I-6 engines.

Quote:
Why is the summit box better than the MSD?
It's not.
It's just cheaper, they are essentially one in the same since the Summit/Mallory boxes are just clones of the MSD 6 series modules.

Quote:
Hammer, with the mopar kit on.. do I need the new cap?

It seems that the TR upgrade makes a big difference on the carb equipped jeeps.. do YJ owners (the mopar kit is basically a 94 YJ set up) do the TR upgrade as well?
Short, rotors let your ignition energy leak to ground inside the distributor, you need a TALL rotor to get the high voltage up and away from the distributor shaft/housing.

Small diameter caps have terminals that are WAY too close together, so your spark energy can jump to the WRONG spark plug terminal...

The cap and rotor upgrade will get your spark energy going out to the CORRECT spark plug, and at the correct time, rather than firing the wrong plug or jumping to ground and doing nothing.

There are a BUNCH of other reasons, but these are the easiest to understand...
Unread 07-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #174
cmcstotts
1976 CJ5 

Thanks Jeephammer
I will attempt to upgrade using the jeep/motorcraft upgrade. I will keep you posted, also if I get in trouble during the upgrade I will post for help.

Thanks for the repy, wish me luck.
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #175
OSUAV8R

Thanks Hammer.. cap and rotor it is
Unread 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #176
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Thanks Hammer.. cap and rotor it is
Using the taller/wider cap and rotor from 'Ford' will give you something else,
Spark plug type terminals instead of the 'Socket' terminals Jeep was so fond of.

That means you will need a set of plug wires to go with the cap adapter, cap & rotor.
Trust me, this is a GOOD thing!
--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Thanks Jeephammer
I will attempt to upgrade using the jeep/motorcraft upgrade. I will keep you posted, also if I get in trouble during the upgrade I will post for help.

Collect up the distributor, cap adapter, Cap, Rotor, and Plug wires,
Then decide what module you want to use, the $25 GM HEI style for single fire ignition,
Or the $140 CDI module for 500% more spark energy,

Then contact me and I'll help you step by step to switch over.
Unread 07-07-2009, 05:12 AM   #177
cmcstotts
1976 CJ5 

Jeephammer I started ordering my parts. My 78 remanufactured distributor is supposed to be in today. I am currently looking into the CDI modules. What does it mean when it says not carb approved? I am thinking about the summit racing 850602 CDI.

I will get the cap adapter, Cap, Rotor and plug wires per the TeamRush upgrade.
I will also get the summit racing 8869 connector to connect to Motorcraft/MSD module.

Do you think I will need the Diode?
Unread 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #178
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Jeephammer I started ordering my parts. My 78 remanufactured distributor is supposed to be in today. I am currently looking into the CDI modules. What does it mean when it says not carb approved? I am thinking about the summit racing 850602 CDI.

I will get the cap adapter, Cap, Rotor and plug wires per the TeamRush upgrade.
I will also get the summit racing 8869 connector to connect to Motorcraft/MSD module.

Do you think I will need the Diode?
CARB, California Air Research Board,

Diode? Probably. Most Jeeps are wired with a direct line back to the ignition 'Run' line, and that will be plenty to keep the module 'Switched On' even with the key switch is 'Off'...
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #179
cmcstotts
1976 CJ5 

Thanks I will order the CDI module today.
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #180
fb4lfe
1979 CJ7 

Hammer, thanks again for the great thread. I am collecting the parts for my 79 CJ7 and starting the upgrade on Monday. One quick question that someone asked on the previous page....I am going to AutoZone because I am in California, and you show that we should purchase an F953 rotor. But part F2104G is a cap and rotor combined. Is the rotor that comes with that cap acceptable to use or should we still purchase the F953?

Thanks again,

Mike
fb4lfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.