Hydro clutch conversion with YJ tub & pedals. What master/slave to use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Hydro clutch conversion with YJ tub & pedals. What master/slave to use?

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Hydro clutch conversion with YJ tub & pedals. What master/slave to use?

I've been searching and have seen a lot of posts around here and pirate about converting to a hydro clutch setup, and most people suggest using a 4-cyl CJ master/slave cylinder. My question is this... I have a YJ hydraulic clutch pedal assembly that I would like to use in my build. I don't *have* to, but I've got it already and I sold the original CJ mechanical clutch pedal. I've got an AMC 360 -> Ford T-18.

I'm assuming that if I used a YJ clutch master cylinder that I wouldn't have to adapt anything and it would just work. It would also be ideal if I could just use a YJ slave cylinder as well. Did the YJs use an external slave cylinder that would bolt up to my T-176 bellhousing?

SO. If the YJ master/slave won't work, should I use the YJ master cylinder and a CJ slave cylinder and adapt the hose fittings? Would the CJ master cylinder work with the YJ pedal assembly? I've seen pictures of the pedals next to each other and the CJ and YJ clutch pedals are different. Lots of questions, but maybe this would be helpful for others as well.

Thanks in advance!

Unread 07-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

You are definitely on the right track with the CJ pedal assembly. By using it you have the proper geometry for a master from the YJ like you said. Also you have the added benefit of being able to dump your CJ brake booster for a YJ booster without any mods.

As far as the slave goes the 94+ AX15 and AX5 and also the NV3550 used in jeeps have an external slave cylinder. I am not sure how compatible that would be with the tranny you have.... Did that tranny you have come with a Hydraulic slave?
ThisGuyUKnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

I don't know if 176's ever came with hydraulic clutches.

I do know that if you call PartsMike, they'll have exactly what you need, and for a reasonable price, too.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
Aaroneous
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuyUKnow View Post
As far as the slave goes the 94+ AX15 and AX5 and also the NV3550 used in jeeps have an external slave cylinder. I am not sure how compatible that would be with the tranny you have.... Did that tranny you have come with a Hydraulic slave?
So assuming I get a slave cylinder from a '95 YJ, I guess the real question is will it bolt up to a T-176 bellhousing?

Pacfanweb - thanks for the tip, I'll call partsmike on Tuesday.
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroneous View Post
So assuming I get a slave cylinder from a '95 YJ, I guess the real question is will it bolt up to a T-176 bellhousing?

Pacfanweb - thanks for the tip, I'll call partsmike on Tuesday.
Partsmike can tell you whether it'll bolt up or not, too. If not, I bet they have a bracket to make it happen.

Oh, and the YJ pedals will bolt right in, if you have them. (and I believe you said you did)
You can even put just the YJ clutch pedal arm on the CJ assembly....just need to tweak the pad a bit, as the YJ has smaller pads.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.