Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hydraulic Winch

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rkbell 
#1 ·
I just recently found out that these existed, so I don't know much about them or their track record.

It appeals to me mainly because its different, but the virtually 100% duty cycle is something thats kind of cool as well.

From what I hear you need a beefy power steering pump, supposedly the pumps in the newer Jeeps are wimpier? I have a '78 CJ-5 so I think I'm good there.

Seems like not a bad idea for older Jeeps with smaller alternators than the Wranglers (assuming you don't have a nice, big, new battery)

Any input/experience/ideas/concerns?

#3 ·
I saw advertisements for these years ago and it appeared to be a pretty cool idea. The only downside I could see is if you were stuck in some deep mud or water where you weren't able to run the engine. I would think a power steering cooler would be a good idea too.

I'd be curious to hear some real world feedback as well.

#4 ·
we had one on our Layland tractor (Little Blue) great thing to have. Only problem we ever had was a leaky hose that made puddles if it sat for too long. I think that one was around 15,000 lb rating. we sold it for a new set of tires which it needed badly. We were able to sell it for about $1300, and sold within a week. It was awhile ago. maybe 6 years? I'm surprised I remember that! Man it was one of the most heavy duty things I have ever seen. We pulled 13,000 lbs of wet oak wood off a flatbed truck for our barn with it, and it didn't even break a sweat. Our tractor is only 29 HP engine. But I think it was able to run the hydraulic system because of a under drive pulley. That pump also, and still runs the hydraulics for the 3 point hitch, and bucket. I see them from time to time at construction auctions around my area...hey you're in Blacksburg! haha sweet!

#5 ·
I'm actually from Lynchburg, in Blacksburg for school right now!

Thanks for the input so far, everyone. I agree, a hydraulic winch sounds heavy duty!

Couldn't you run into problems running electric ones underwater as well? Would internal or external solenoid make a difference as far as weather proofing?

Lifesgoodhere, where are these auctions you speak of? ;-)

#7 ·
Lifesgoodhere, where are these auctions you speak of? ;-)
Harrisonburg and further north usually. Sometimes normal farm auctions have odd ball stuff like winches in it. Those type auctions are everywhere. A lot are just south of me a few miles in Rockbridge (Lexington area). I went to one this past weekend and watched a 1928 Generator go up for auction, and followed right behind it was a old Model T pickup with a flatbed. I was tempted.

#6 ·
Both have pro's/con's but the HYD can pull all day where as the electric would have problems if you electrical system isn't up to par. Let's face it, we usually wheel in pairs if not more so if your motor isn't running or you are stuck in deep stuff a fellow Jeeper should pull you out unless you pissed them off :) and even if your Jeep wasn't running the electric would only last a short time and then your done anyway if you didn't have a starting battery. Really depends on how much you will use it. If all the time for a longevity of the system then HYD, if short trips like we usually do for wheeling then go to HF and get one for 300 bucks w/a two yr warranty and replace it every two yrs, they also work very well.

P.S. It's your $ & U have to decide in the long run.

P.S.S. If it were me and i had the $, I would go w/HYD and the cooler on teh P-steeing pump as mentioned.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input!
Being a student, I don't really have the money, but I'm glad Lifesgoodhere brought up auctions. I know for a fact there are frequent auctions in the area, and there is quite a bit of farming in/around Blacksburg. I should start showing up at these to see what I can find. I'll start combing eBay too...

There are probably a few other things I should address first...like putting my dash and seats back in :p

#9 ·
I considered a hydraulic winch, but the problem is that your engine needs to be running for the winch to work (as other's replied). Not too good if you're stalled on a steep incline (carb'd) or in the middle of a stream (the other flooded).

A battery winch will get you to safety or hopefully out of the situation you got yourself into.

That's why there's a Warn 8274 on my CJ:

#10 ·
I prefer electric for the "engine must be running" reason. My electric winch will still help if the rig is laying on its side or upside down.

Also, ease of installation makes it more appealing... just a couple cables to hook to the battery versus additional hydraulic fittings in the steering system.

I might reconsider if I were going to be doing alot of hard pulls requiring that 100% duty cycle.. but for me, a couple minutes of pulling (at the most) and I'm usually done.

#11 ·
I also wanted the no need for the engine to be on option for a winch seeing as I have been rubber side up a couple times where the engine wasn't running so the HD winch would be useless to me. Haven't been over on it's side since I put a winch on which figures....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.